"the" before noun+number second time?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

russelt

"the" before noun+number second time?

Post by russelt » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:39 am

We have two rules:
Rule 1 - "zero" article before noun+number.
Rule 2 - article "the" for the noun already mentioned above (first time - "a/an/zero", second time - "the").
But what to do if the rules collide one another:
A list of participants is provided in (zero article) Annex 1. Please find attached a new version of (??? "zero" or "the") Annex 1.
Thank you.

Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: "the" before noun+number second time?

Post by Joe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:52 am

russelt wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:39 am
We have two rules:
Rule 1 - "zero" article before noun+number.
Rule 2 - article "the" for the noun already mentioned above (first time - "a/an/zero", second time - "the").
But what to do if the rules collide one another:
A list of participants is provided in (zero article) Annex 1. Please find attached a new version of (??? "zero" or "the") Annex 1.
Thank you.
If I understand you right, Annex 1 is a name (proper noun) and so we never use an or the with it.

Just like we don’t normally say a Russelt or the Russelt ;-)
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven

russelt

Post by russelt » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Thank you, OK, in this example Annex 1 may be deemed a proper name. But what about this: "We stayed in (zero article) room 12 last year. And we would like to stay in ("zero" or "the"??) room 12 once again.
What to do if Rule 1 and Rule 2 contradict one another? Is there any universal approach? Thank you.

Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:09 pm

russelt wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:04 pm
Thank you, OK, in this example Annex 1 may be deemed a proper name. But what about this: "We stayed in (zero article) room 12 last year. And we would like to stay in ("zero" or "the"??) room 12 once again.
What to do if Rule 1 and Rule 2 contradict one another? Is there any universal approach? Thank you.
Room 12 is a name or proper noun. No article.

Please try again :mrgreen:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven

russelt

Post by russelt » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:15 pm

If I understand you right, we may treat any noun+number as a proper name and therefore never use "a/an/the" with them.
"The Russelt" becomes annoying )).
Thank you.

Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:24 pm

russelt wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:15 pm
If I understand you right, we may treat any noun+number as a proper name and therefore never use "a/an/the" with them.
"The Russelt" becomes annoying )).
I think that’s right. I’m having a hard time thinking of noun+number that would not be treated as a proper noun.

Of course, there are exceptions as always. I mean the Trump we met on holiday, not the Trump in the White House. But in general noun+number is like a name.

Does that make sense :?:

russelt

Post by russelt » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:39 pm

Roger.
Thank you very much.