My wife and I disagree regarding the usage of a phrase

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

StevenMich

My wife and I disagree regarding the usage of a phrase

Post by StevenMich » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:52 am

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

My Wife and I were having a conversation about Hairstylists who cut our Disabled Daughter’s hair in the past. The Daughter has Non-Verbal Autism and Behavioural Issues and can be difficult to manage, at times. The Wife said: “Stylist A is more impatient than Stylist B.” I told her she should’ve said: “Stylist A has less patience than Stylist B.” However, my wife thinks it’s grammatically correct to say: “more impatient.” If “impatient” means having no patience, how can a person have more of something that doesn’t exist?

Who’s right and who’s wrong in this scenario? My wife, or I?

Thank you in advance!

Sincerely,

Steven.

Safari
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: My wife and I disagree regarding the usage of a phrase

Post by Safari » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:54 pm

StevenMich wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:52 am

My Wife and I were having a conversation about Hairstylists who cut our Disabled Daughter’s hair in the past. The Daughter has Non-Verbal Autism and Behavioural Issues and can be difficult to manage, at times. The Wife said: “Stylist A is more impatient than Stylist B.” I told her she should’ve said: “Stylist A has less patience than Stylist B.” However, my wife thinks it’s grammatically correct to say: “more impatient.” If “impatient” means having no patience, how can a person have more of something that doesn’t exist?

I believe both options are grammatically correct, though yours may be semantically more logical - or less illogical :mrgreen:

Btw, "Who’s right and who’s wrong in this scenario? My wife, or I?" should be ""Who’s right and who’s wrong in this scenario? My wife, or me?.

Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: My wife and I disagree regarding the usage of a phrase

Post by Joe » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:51 pm

StevenMich wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:52 am

lol Very philosophical :roll:
Grammatically, both are possible :ok:
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven