What words are understood in " when ... playing basketball at the recreational center"

English grammar questions, answered by Alan

Moderator: Alan

ansonman

What words are understood in " when ... playing basketball at the recreational center"

Post by ansonman » Mon May 18, 2020 9:44 pm

Suppose that you and your friends play basketball at a recreational center regularly. All of you are talking about that at your house. I have made up a question and a related answer below.

(1a) Have you seen any vending machines when playing basketball with your friends at the recreational center?

(2a) I have seen some vending machines when playing basketball with my friends at the recreational center.

I think (1a) and (2a) are grammatically correct. Whether this is given as a question or an answer, I am wondering what words are understood between "when" and "playing basketball". I want to take a guess.

My guess:
(1b) Have you seen any vending machines when you have been playing basketball with your friends at the recreational center?
(2b) I have seen some vending machines when you have been playing basketball with your friends at the recreational center.

I'm not sure if "you have been" are the understood words for this being a question or an answer. My neighbor is a non-native English speaker. When I showed him (1a) and (2a), he said he agreed with me that those were the understood words.

I don't know if we are correct because we aren't native speakers. Please give me some help. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Alan
Teacher/Moderator
Teacher/Moderator

Re: What words are understood in " when ... playing basketball at the recreational center"

Post by Alan » Tue May 19, 2020 5:07 am

Yes, it would be logical to understand 'I/you have been playing' in these cases.