The nonsense pun is very popular in most languages. A pun is a joke that is a "play on words", and is based on misunderstanding. Puns work because:
1) many words have more than one meaning, for example:
a) lasting or taking a great amount of time
b) measuring a great distance from end to end
2) some different words have the same sound, for example:
flour (noun): powder obtained from wheat and used to make bread
flower (noun): the colourful, seed-bearing part of a plant
Can you work these puns out?
- Did you hear about the teacher who was cross-eyed?
- Doctor, doctor, will you help me out?
- Teacher: I wish you'd pay a little attention
- Waiter, waiter, what soup is this?
- Waiter, waiter, what's this fly doing in my soup?
- Waiter, waiter, what's wrong with these eggs?
- Waiter, waiter, will the pancakes be long?
- Teacher: You should have been here at 9 o'clock