Quiz: Tales from America
First watch Tales from America at:
Then answer the questions below.
1. Which word is NOT used by learners to describe their first impressions of New York?
2. According to the Israeli student, Lee, why "must" people know English?
- English is the official language of America.
- English is the most important language in the world.
- English is the language used in most universities.
- English is the language psychologists use in their profession.
3. What was the Argentinean engineer's main reason for going to New York?
- To learn about English software.
- To upgrade his technical skills in English.
- To improve his English in an English setting.
- To experience the busy life of native Americans.
4. Three of the female learners say that knowing English helps people from their own countries
- make friends.
- improve their own language.
- get jobs.
- understand each other.
5. According to the interviewees, why is it difficult for beginners to express themselves in English?
- Beginners are afraid to talk to people.
- Beginners don't practise for long enough.
- Beginners focus too much on grammar.
- Beginners still think in their native language.
6. How is the translation student improving her English each day?
- She is living with a native English speaker.
- She has a teacher who uses different accents.
- She is not afraid to ask questions.
- She refuses to speak her native language at school.
7. What improved for the South Korean student after going to New York?
- Her confidence in speaking English
- Her TOEIC score
- Her ability to make friends
- Her courage to travel
8. What advice is given to people who can't travel to an English-speaking country?
- Study at least one or two hours per day.
- Focus on reading before speaking.
- Go to an English-only school.
- Memorize English words online.
9. What is the last piece of advice for English learners?
- Play in English.
- Move to New York.
- Practise your accent.
- Watch TV.
10. Which of the following is true about New York based on the camera footage?
- New York taxi drivers speak English.
- New York is a multicultural city.
- Teachers in New York are rarely native speakers.
- Most people who go to New York are tourists.