Affect or effect?
These two words are often confused. They both have several meanings, but today we will look at their basic meaning of change.
Affect is a verb, basically meaning: cause to change; make a difference to
- The cold weather affected my health.
- If you don’t study it will affect your exam results badly.
- How you dress affects the way people think of you.
Effect is a noun, meaning: a change that is the result of something else
- The cold weather had an effect on my health.
- Hard drugs can have deadly effects.
- Her love letters had no effect on him.
As mentioned above, both words can have other meanings as well, and effect can also be a verb (with a different meaning). Just remember that in the sense of “change” as shown above the noun is effect and the verb is affect.