The Bears' Night Out Quiz
A. Do you understand what the words in the story mean?
Match the vocabulary with the definitions:
||type of mammal that keeps its babies in a little pocket called a "pouch"
||people who sleep outside (in tents) in the forest for a short time
||covered up with blankets at bedtime
||follow the rules
||went in a certain direction
||good feeling, when the body is in a nice position
||feeling when you need something to eat
||when all of a species have died
|Wish is a useful word that you can use to talk about hope in the present or future. In this story the animals wish they were in many different places.
Use: subject + wish + were (not was)
Example: I wish I were in Hawaii.
Example: I wish I were an astronaut.
Note: This is called the subjunctive form. We use it for formal English. In spoken English you may hear "was" instead of "were".
Example (informal): I wish English was easier.
Example (formal): I wish English were easier.
Look at the following wishes. How do you write the sentences?
|To be in England. (you)
||I wish I were in England.
|To be a movie star. (John)
||_______ _______ _______ ________ a movie star.
|To be older. (you)
||_______ _______ _______ _______ older.
|To be rich. (your mother)
||_______ _______ _______ _______ _______ rich.
|To not be so busy. (your dad)
||_______ _______ _______ _______ _________ so busy.
B. Do you understand how to use the words from the story?
Fill in the blanks:
1. Most nights the bears __________ by staying in bed with Megan.
- head out
2. The bears __________ North first.
- tucked in
3. Koala didn't feel ___________ because it was so cold in the North Pole.
4. __________ sometimes leave food out that grizzly bears will eat.
- Polar bears
5. When koala bears are __________ they eat eucalyptus leaves.
- tucked in
C. Do you understand what the story is about?
Answer the comprehension questions:
1. What is Megan's favourite thing in the world?
- The North Pole
2. Where did Grizzly take the other bears?
- To the North Pole
- To America
- To Canada
- To Australia
3. Where do koala bears get their water from?
- the ocean
4. Why is Panda worried about going to China?
- He thinks all of the pandas will be gone.
- He thinks his friends will ignore him.
- He thinks the journey will take too long.
- He thinks the other bears won't like it there.
5. Who hears Koala's secret at the end of the story?
- No one
- All of the bears
Now check your answers!