The Chickens Take a Holiday Quiz
A. Do you understand what the words in the story mean?
Match the vocabulary with the definitions:
||white liquid produced by cows
||information about recent events
||one of the four periods of the year when the weather changes
||a structure made of wood or wire that divides land
||a time when someone does not go to work
||a male chicken that crows
||food made from milk, usually yellow or orange in colour
||person who looks after the grounds for raising animals and growing crops
||a low green plant that covers the Earth's surface
||a garden tool with a long handle, used for gathering leaves
|A noun can be count or non-count.
Count nouns are easy to count. For example: 1 banana, 1 car, 1 pencil
You can make count nouns plural. For example: 3 bananas, 7 cars, two dozen pencils
Non-count nouns are impossible to count. For example: water, love, air
You cannot make non-count nouns plural.
Which words in the vocabulary list are count nouns?
__________ __________ __________ __________ __________ __________
Which words in the vocabulary list are non-count nouns?
__________ __________ __________ __________
|Sometimes we want to measure non-count nouns.
We can use containers and other nouns to help us.
For example: a cup of water, a lot of love, a breath of air
Look at the non-count nouns in the story. How can you measure them?
||a blade of grass
||a __________ of cheese
||a __________ of milk
||a __________ of news
B. Do you understand how to use the words from the story?
Fill in the blanks:
1. The chickens worked hard and wanted to take a __________.
2. Farmer Tim gets his __________ from the cows.
3. The cows ate the __________ for breakfast.
4. The __________ is used to clean up the leaves.
5. The rooster stood on the __________ to call the farmer.
C. Do you understand what the story is about?
Answer the comprehension questions:
1. What time of day is it in this story?
2. How many chickens are on Farmer Tim's farm?
3. Why did the cows move to the grass?
- to find the farmer
- to start their holiday
- to look for the rake
- to eat their breakfast
4. What happened when the trees got angry?
- The rake woke up.
- The apples fell down.
- Farmer Tim came out.
- The cows took a holiday.
5. Who wakes up the farmer at the end of the story?
- Rowdy Rooster
- Chester Chicken
Now check your answers!