Endangered Species Discussion
Topics for discussion and essay-writing
Based on endangered species text
1. Why do you think the Canadian Arctic is called the Land of the Midnight Sun? What do you think it would be like to live there?
2. The Governor of Alaska is unhappy with the decision to place the polar bear on the endangered species list. What could this decision mean for development in Alaska?
3. A rough estimate suggests that there are approximately 20,000 polar bears in the world. Why do you think it is so difficult to know how many bears live in the Arctic? What challenges would face a census team?
4. Scientists say there are twice as many polar bears living in the Arctic as there were in the 1960's. This is because polar bears used to be severely over hunted. Some politicians site this data as a reason for not placing polar bears on the endangered species list. How do you feel about their argument?
5. If there are 25,000 polar bears now, how do you think the population will change by the year 2050? What factors did you consider in making your estimation?