Recommended Reading for English Learners
Non-fiction for Adults
This list includes a variety of popular non-fiction books. Non-fiction includes books such as biographies, memoirs, cookbooks, self-help titles, and information books.
- Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt
A memoir about an impoverished childhood in New York and Ireland.
- A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf
A long essay about women and writing.
- Chicken Soup for the Soul (series) by a variety of authors
A book of true-life inspirational and motivational stories.
- Conversations with J.K. Rowling by J.K. Rowling and Lindsey Fraser
An authorized biography about the author of the Harry Potter series.
- Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
A single woman's journey to finding herself and love.
- How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman
A popular cooking reference and recipe book.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
A self-help book about having strong relationships.
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
An autobiography of Maya Angelou's early years as an African American writer.
- Marley and Me by John Grogan
A memoir about a man and his pet dog.
- Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus by John Gray
A self-help book about the differences between men and women.
- Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen
A memoir about a young Baroness who moved to Kenya to marry her second cousin.
- Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
An environmental science book about the damage humans have caused to the environment. (published in 1962)
- The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf
A study related to the increase of female beauty standards.
- The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls
A memoir about a writer's impoverished childhood and untraditional upbringing.
- The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
A story about a writer who invited more happiness into her life.
- What Color is your Parachute? by Richard Nelson Bolles
A self-help book about finding a job related to one's passions.
- What to Expect When you’re Expecting by Heidi Murkoff and Sharon Mazel
A self-help book for women who are pregnant for the first time.