Topics for Debate
Here are 20 topics to discuss with a friend or group. Practise agreeing and disagreeing even if you have to argue against something you actually believe in. One way to have fun with this is to make up a bunch of cards that say agree or disagree. Each person has to pick up a card and then the topic is read out. It is more fun to have a debate this way because you don't have to play your true self. Try to continue each discussion for at least five minutes. Use the expressions that you learned, including agreeing, disagreeing, asking for opinions, interrupting, etc.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
- Swimming in the ocean is better than swimming in a public pool.
- Alcohol should be illegal.
- Children should provide room and board for their aging parents.
- Studying grammar is more important than practising conversation skills.
- Television is the leading cause of violence in today's society.
- Dogs make better companions than cats.
- Smoking should be permitted in public places.
- Females are better students than males.
- A parent shouldn't pierce a baby's ears.
- Women should be allowed to go topless in public.
- Lawyers should make a higher salary than nurses.
- Everyone should plan their own funeral.
- Reading English is more difficult than writing English.
- Summer is the best season of the year.
- Children under 13 should not be allowed to babysit.
- High school students should wear uniforms.
- 21 should be the legal driving age around the world.
- Rock and Roll is the best kind of music.
- The government should pay for post secondary education.