WORD UP is the world’s best-selling ESL board game, used in over 70 countries in homes, schools, universities and language institutes including the British Council, EF, ELS, Inlingua and many more.
Designed from practical, hands-on experience by ESL teacher and author Matt Errey, who needed games and activities that his Thai students would find fun, Word Up is now played by learners of English all over the world and is making its own unique contribution to language learning.
What does the Word Up ESL board game test and develop?
- speaking, listening and reading skills
- vocabulary and spelling (British and American)
- phrasal verbs and collocations
- idioms and proverbs
- grammar and usage
- general knowledge – history, geography, science, the arts, sports etc.
How does Word Up benefit students?
- provides a meaningful, non-threatening context for language practice and acquisition
- creates a positive attitude towards learning English
- encourages students to interact and communicate
- helps students feel comfortable with group activities
- boosts confidence in ability to use English in ‘real life’
How does the Word Up ESL board game benefit teachers?
- makes classes fun and interesting
- creates a friendly and relaxed atmosphere
- gets the whole class speaking and listening
- develops strong class cohesion
- strengthens rapport between teacher and students
- revitalizes class enthusiasm for learning
- can be used many times with the same students
- no preparation needed
- your employer will see you as a dedicated professional willing to obtain innovative classroom materials
How can teachers use the Word Up ESL board game?
- as a fun and useful activity for an entire 45-90 minute class
- as a 20-30 minute activity within a longer class
- as a start-of-term ‘ice-breaker’ to help students get to know one another
- as a fun break from regular study at any time during a course
- as an enjoyable end-of-term activity
- as an instant activity for teachers filling in for colleagues at short notice
- as an enjoyable way for students to improve their English at home
- suitable for a wide range of ages and levels
- players of different levels can play together
- playing time can be adjusted to match class time
- for up to 6 individual players or up to 12 in teams
- answers to all questions included
- all materials packaged in an easy-to-carry box
- no additional equipment required
- made of high-quality, long-lasting materials
- easy to set up and can be used anywhere
- comprehensive Guidelines for Teachers included
- 60-day money-back guarantee
What other customers say
Ian Hewitt (Author of Edutainment: How to Teach English with Fun and Games) ★★★★★
I have now used this game for junior high school, high school and companies and it is always a big hit – works really well.
K. Caporale ★★★★☆
I was leary to purchase Word Up sight unseen, and very pleasantly surprised when my students played their first game and really enjoyed the experience. It’s a different vehicle for learning English and a nice change of pace. The game is well thought out and challenges many categories of critical thinking. The box could be made of sturdier cardboard but all other pieces and components are of good quality.
Peter Stonborough ★★★★☆
I’m a TEFL teacher and had already used Word Up with my students because they had it in our school access center. But I’m glad I purchased the “Classroom Pack” for myself – exact same game and same size box but enough of everything to play two games simultaneously, which is very handy in class. Great game and brilliant idea!
Daniel Ednie-Lockett ★★★★★
I am a Director of Studies at a language school in Australia. One of our teachers recommended Word Up as a great way of changing things up and recharging the students. Since getting Word Up we have used it with each of the levels from Elementary to Upper Intermediate and it’s been popular with both teachers and students. It is possible to use the questions purely as a quiz if you don’t have enough time to set up the board game and the rules. There are very few board games that can be used in the ESL classroom with any real connection to language development without a lot of extra adaptation from the teacher. Word Up is one of the very few that builds language learning into a fun board game format. I would recommend it to any school.
Robert D ★★★★★
about 14 years ago i ordered word up… and i still use it all the time (best money ever spent for classes…btw!!!!)
Learning English while playing games might be what everyone wants to do in their English learning journey. This game definitely helps English learners get motivated, encouraged, and challenged while having lots of fun playing! I use this game when I help my students learn English and they love it very much! This is one of must-have English teaching materials for English teachers.
Greg Smith ★★★★★
I agree with the many positive comments already expressed above particularly by K Caporale and Daniel Ednie-Lockett. It gives a good change of pace and lift in interest. The game provides a fresh way to access vocabulary and focus the class. I train international adults at their workplace and it works for us too by including different levels of proficiency. I feared it would bring out a competitive spirit but all enjoy the game and respect each others’ foibles.
Airmail delivery worldwide (usually 7 to 21 days depending on country)
Your order is 100% guaranteed. You can request a full refund anytime within 60 days.