WORD UP is the world’s best-selling EFL board game, used in over 70 countries in homes, schools, universities and language institutes including the British Council, EF, ELS, Inlingua and many more.
Designed from practical, hands-on experience by EFL teacher and author Matt Errey, who needed games and activities that his Thai students would find fun, Word Up is now played by learners of English all over the world and is making its own unique contribution to language learning.
Language WORD UP tests and develops
- listening and speaking
- spelling (British/American)
- phrasal verbs and collocations
- idioms and proverbs
- general knowledge—history, geography, science, the arts, sports, etc.
How WORD UP helps learners
- provides an easy context for English practice and acquisition
- creates a positive attitude towards learning English
- encourages students to interact and communicate
- helps students feel comfortable with group activities
- boosts confidence in ability to use English in “real life”
How WORD UP helps teachers
- makes classes fun and interesting
- creates a friendly and relaxed atmosphere
- gets the whole class speaking and listening
- develops strong class cohesion
- strengthens rapport between teacher and students
- revitalizes class enthusiasm for learning
- can be used many times with the same students
- no preparation needed
- your employer will see you as a dedicated professional willing to obtain innovative classroom materials
How you can use this EFL board game
- as an enjoyable way for learners to improve their English at home
- as a fun and useful activity for an entire 45-90 minute class
- as a 20-30 minute activity within a longer class
- as a start-of-term ice-breaker to help students get to know one another
- as a fun break from regular study at any time during a course
- as an enjoyable end-of-term activity
- as an instant activity for teachers filling in for colleagues at short notice
- suitable for a wide range of ages and levels
- players of different levels can play together
- playing time can be fixed to match class time
- for up to 6 individual players or up to 12 in teams
- answers to all questions included
- all materials packaged in an easy-to-carry box
- no additional equipment required
- made of high-quality, long-lasting materials
- easy to set up and can be used anywhere
- comprehensive Guidelines for Teachers included
- 60-day money-back guarantee
Ian Hewitt (Author of Edutainment: How to Teach English with Fun and Games) ★★★★★
I have now used this game for junior high school, high school and companies and it is always a big hit – works really well.
K. Caporale ★★★★☆
I was leary to purchase Word Up, sight unseen, and very pleasantly surprised when my students played their first game and really enjoyed the experience. It’s a different vehicle for learning English and a nice change of pace. The game is well thought out and challenges many categories of critical thinking. The box could be made of sturdier cardboard but all other pieces and components are of good quality.
Word Up is an excellent classroom tool. I was thrilled to see how the game promoted conversation and animated the students. They thoroughly enjoyed it. I plan to use it regularly. The questions were challenging, level-appropriate, and diverse. LOVE it!!
Corinne Omont ★★★★★
very appropriate in an english course and for all levels ! My students love it !
Thank you for this great game !
Alex Moro ★★★★★
I tried this game with a small group of 3 people of different levels of English and it worked really well! I was substituting another teacher who couldn’t be there, so it proved the perfect solution for a stimulating lesson. The play is quite fast so the students don’t get bored, and they learn having fun.
A great idea and a very good buy for me! I would certainly recommend it!
juanita welch-accardo ★★★★★
I love it! I agree with another user that the box could be stronger. I have to transport the game inside a sturdier box. I love the fact that the questions stimulate the students in a variety of ways that they find challenging. However, Level 1 is not simple enough for my A1 students …who really like to learn through game playing! I recommend a COMPLETE BEGINNER LEVEL, incorporating sentence building components, choices of articles, quantifiers… in very short sentence form. I would also recommend extra card packs for specific categories (the body/health, travel, business English, family & friends …..etc). Ah, I would also like to see the cards printed in a LARGER SIZE please. They are too difficult to read for many students with less than 20/20 vision ..which includes me!
Vincenza Catania ★★★★★
This game is fantastic. A really nice way to learn and revise vocabulary and a great opportunity to improve reading, listening and speaking skills. All levels can be played in one game as all players can choose their level. Kids and adults playing together make this game fun and entertaining. At the end of the game, everyone has learnt new words and pronunciation. I strongly recommend this game and I am so happy to have found it! Thanks to all the team!
Rosa Crespi ★★★★★
As a teacher of English, I’ve been using Word Up over the years and I still find it an inspiring way to get students involved in the language and have fun at the same time!! The best game ever!!
van den Broek ★★★★☆
Great board game for ESL learners. However, I found a little mistake in one of the question sheets. And the box is a little bit on the low quality. That’s why I put only 4 stars.
Barbara Hames ★★★★☆
Very poor quality box. Laughable spelling error in the instructions, but a great tool. Fix the silly problems and it will be 5 stars from everyone.
Annabel Newcomb ★★★★★
A great game for all abilities. The children love it! Recommended.
Michael Jones ★★★★★
I am involved in the Erasmus program in Bordeaux, France and twice a year (two separate weeks) I help students find their internships and provide English lessons. In my classes I have students who have already found their Internship and others who have not, and it is difficult to divide myself, between the two disciplines. I finally bought WordUp and have no regrets. The students loved it which meant I could split myself and leave the students playing WordUp. They were very disappointed when I took it away and got the rest on the class involved in other exercises.
C Becskehazy ★★★★★
This has to be one the greatest English learning tools ever! Great fun and very educational! Thanks
Sunho, Australia ★★★★★
Learning English while playing games might be what everyone wants to do in their English learning journey. This game definitely helps English learners get motivated, encouraged, and challenged while having lots of fun playing!
Andreas Grammatico, Italy ★★★★☆
I bought Word Up to play at home with my friends and family and I am glad I bought it. Because it is a fun way to learn English and always improving just by playing games with my friends. So I think it is good for anyone if you are learning English. My friends all love it too and some have bought it too.
I started to play the game.very interesting to improve its English. I enjoy it a lot
Classroom Pack ↗️
|edition type||single game||two games in one|
|for learners + friends at home||✅|
|for teachers in class||✅||✅|
|box dimensions||370 x 195 x 40 mm
14.6 x 7.7 x 1.6 inches
|370 x 195 x 40 mm
14.6 x 7.7 x 1.6 inches
|box weight, full||0.74 kg
|WORD UP questions||4,480||4,480|
|question sheet holders||6||12|
|question sheet clips||6||12|
|levels of difficulty||5||5|
|WORD UP cards||20||40|
|Rules of Play||1||1|
|Guidelines for Teachers||1||1|
|players (or teams)||2 to 6||2 to 12|
Airmail delivery worldwide (usually 7 to 21 days depending on country)