Looking for Facebook´penfriends´for my 10 students

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

magdalena

Looking for Facebook´penfriends´for my 10 students

Unread post by magdalena »

Hello,
I have an idea:) My students are from Slovakia, teenagers (16 or 17 years old) who have been studying English for 5 years (more or less). I would be very happy if they found peers from abroad who want to have a FRIEND, are the same age, have the same interests and want to practise their English (seeing that using it has a good purpose;)

Let me know if your students are interested too. Let´s inspire them and give them a chance to use English in this interesting way!
Thank you.
magdalena (SVK)
Gavhar

Re: Looking for Facebook´penfriends´for my 10 students

Unread post by Gavhar »

Hello.
I'm from Uzbekistan, and wanna have penpals for my students.
Write to me on: sayora_aripova@yahoo.com
hmwije

Unread post by hmwije »

Hello, That's a good idea.
I also need some friends as pen pals for my students. I'm a teacher from Sri Lanka.
See my students on our school network sitehttp://rambuka-english.ning.com/
We have a web site for pen pals http://www.studentsoftheworld.info/site ... /35297.php

Best Regard
-Wije
karineculture

Unread post by karineculture »

I really like the idea of Facebook friends but I think that a lot of people are using facebook with their real friends only so I have something else to suggest. I read an article about Tamdem e-mail projects. It means that students will write emails to other students using their first and second language. Then, when they receive the email of the other person, they corect the mistakes in his L1 (which will be the other's L2). You get the point? It is a good project for cultural awareness, ICTs, and practice of the language in real situations.
If you are interested to read the article here is the information : Dodd, C. (2001) Working in tandem: An Anglo-French project. In M. Byram, A. Nichols, & D. Stevens (Eds.), Developing intercultural competence in practice (pp.162-175). Clevedon, UK: Multilingual Matters Ltd.
melgaut

Unread post by melgaut »

www! What a good idea to have your students communicate on Facebook! I'm sure it really motivates them to use the L2. I would love to have your feedback. Does it really work? What are the issues of this type of project? The exchange between countries is always interesting. Your students will have the chance to broaden their horizon. You can decide the main topic of the subject. However, I think it is important to give our students a lot of freedom. We shouldn't but too much emphasis on spelling mistakes. They learn from each other and they are more confident. Time is also an issue: what do you do when a student doesn't have enough time to finish? I guess that planning a dead line is also very complicated even though it's necessary.
hmwije

Unread post by hmwije »

Hi, Melgaut.
Thank for your reply.
I like to introduce a network site what I have created, to communicate with your students. They can talk with my students via it. I think, it is better than facebook. Please see it- http://rambuka-english.ning.com/
Send me more about your student. You can suggest a project also.
Have a nice day.
Regards
-Wije
ellafb

Unread post by ellafb »

That was good idea to have friends on facebook and have English communication. It is interesting idea and I also interested with that. In that way you could help your student to practice their English.