How can you best Youtube to teach English online?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

waleedwahsh

How can you best Youtube to teach English online?

Unread post by waleedwahsh »

I’m doing a bit of a research on the best way to use short clips from Youtube to teach English online and I would be grateful for your opinion and advice on the following:

- Do you think it's a good idea to teach English online using short Youtube clips?

- How would you best structure a language lesson around a short video clip for online language teaching?

Thank you so much in advance.
AlexCase
Busy Member
Busy Member

Re: How can you best Youtube to teach English online?

Unread post by AlexCase »

It can be a good idea, it depends on the clip, how you use it, and what you want to teach. Perhaps the simplest way is to use a clip just like a listening comprehension, with vocabulary pre-teach, comprehension questions etc. It is also possible to use clips without worrying about the dialogue, e.g. getting students to describe what is happening in Mr Bean or Pingu videos.
waleedwahsh

Unread post by waleedwahsh »

Thanks for your reply. Here's a link a link to a sample page from the tool I'm working on to show you what I mean

http://www.imimic.net/read_sentence.asp?id=32

Would you leave it like this so teachers can use it in their own classrooms the way they like? Or would you add more functionality and/or content (e.g. a vocab pre-teach, comprehension questions, grammatical points, ... etc.)?
MinnieCarson

Unread post by MinnieCarson »

Being a English teacher, even i would like to take some advice from your side . What type of English grammar lesson video you would use for showing your students.