Need feedbacks from real English teachers

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

picohostel

Need feedbacks from real English teachers

Unread post by picohostel »

The following is a new technique for teaching english writing by using a web 2.0 tool - wiki

in hong kong, secondary schools are using wikis to teaching writing to students. wikis are used group projects which allow collaboration among students, so there are many advantages on students' learning. for example, as there can be real adudience on the web reading students' wokrs, so students learn to focus on content instead of grammar in their writing because they wanted to be appreciated by real audience. second, students' mistakes can be corrected by other students. there are even more effects as you can google them...

As teachers, can you share with me your thoughts on these? e.g. have u tried that? do u think that it is effective? any possibilities for implementing... etc.......
netsooz

Re: Need feedbacks from real English teachers

Unread post by netsooz »

The idea is brilliant I suppose,
the major skill non-native learners have problems with is writing. I teach writing classes and I find utilizing various techniques helpful. Your idea is cool and would be even enhanced if particular considerations are also involved.
In my idea, it's not a good idea to thoroughly ignore students's accuracy. You could make use of moderate feedback on form to correct the grammatical, spelling and any other possible errors students make.
One major issue with writing, is L1 interference. Students directly translate their L1 into English and the results sometimes are ambiguous sentences that might be grammatical but are not natural English and natives or readers in general might not understand them. So this needs a lot of exposure to the "right" language and of course, teacher feedback.
The idea can be even more inviting if there was some sort of competition between the groups and the group with more "likes" for example gets to win something interesting, like discounts with next term registration for instance if institutional policies allow.

Thank you for sharing your idea. and please keep us posted with the results of the activity.
teffjones

Unread post by teffjones »

That's good strategy in teaching. These students quickly realize how important writing is when they come to write as essay, email or even a report for work. Writing is not something that can be picked up in passing. It takes a long time to learn structure and proper usage.
Doberman

Unread post by Doberman »

In my idea, it's not a good idea to thoroughly ignore students's accuracy. You could make use of moderate feedback on form to correct the grammatical, spelling and any other possible errors students make.
Mikk
MinnieCarson

Unread post by MinnieCarson »

I must appreciate you for sharing such a valuable post here. Thats really a great idea of searching on wikis for kids project. Being a teacher i will definitely share this to my students.