Page 1 of 1

I could use some help

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:57 pm
by Geno
For three years in the mid-nineties, I lived and worked in Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia as part of an American school project. I was the administrator of one of three schools, taught conversational English and also formal lessons I put together on my own, mostly from books I had acquired. I also did some private teaching with anywhere from 1-4 students, as interest in Americans who would teach English was very high.

I also lived in Ho Chi Minh City and Cambodia from 2006-2009 where I was involved with English learners in a variety of situations, from private lessons to working in several English-learning schools. Although I have no formal training or certification, it was not difficult to secure positions in these schools.

My wife and I are now interested in the possibility of moving overseas and I'd like some input regarding certain matters.

1. I have no degree. How limiting will this be in possibly securing teaching positions overseas?

2. I'd be mainly interested in year-round positions where many or most living expenses would be covered. Are positions like that readily available?

3. How effective are online TEFL courses in preparing potential TEFL teachers and qualifying them for worthwhile positions?

4. I am a young 61-years of age and my wife is 50. How much of an issue might our ages be in trying to go down this road?

I'd really appreciate anyone willing to engage with me on these matters.

Re: I could use some help

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:38 pm
by MeganHeist
"There is a high demand in South Korea for English teachers along with other Asian countries like Thailand, China and Taiwan. I took my TESOL certificate online with Uni-Prep Institute 2 years ago and got hired abroad with their help. Most private schools would require credentials such as diplomas or certification without experience and they pay higher than public schools. There are schools that do not have an age limit as their requirement for application."

Re: I could use some help

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:11 pm
by johnsimpson
For experienced esol teachers who require evidence of their knowledge and experience of their teaching, I would recommend taking the Cambridge TKT tests. I would strongly recommend that you prepare yourself first by downloading practice tests, and purchasing the Cambridge self learning TKT course book from here. ... nd-edition
From what I have read on the internet, the Chinese have great respect for the older teachers, and so should we all.

Re: I could use some help

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:32 pm
by johnsimpson
Some more tips. Search for TEFL TESOL employment, read what the employers are asking for, as many will not accept any online TEFL or TESOL qualifications. Many ask for celta or Trinity, and an increasing number will accept TKT, as it is a Cambridge TESOL qualification designed for experienced teachers such as yourself. You don't need to take a course, you simply need evidence of your experience and the knowledge you have gained.