I have been teaching literature

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

ppasban

I have been teaching literature

Unread post by ppasban »

I have been teaching literature and writing for 10+ years in public schools and various colleges. I'm looking for input from those who are knowledgeable in this TESL certification. I would like to teach overseas in the new school year. I hold a CT certification in English 7-12 and an MA in Education do I also need the TESL certification to teach overseas. Is it helpful? Are there any other seasoned English teachers out there who have done this? I would love your advice.
Susan

Re: I have been teaching literature

Unread post by Susan »

Have you thought of teaching in an international high school or primary school? You already have the qualifications to do that.
johnsimpson
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by johnsimpson »

Your best bet would be the international schools as stated, and they have the best employment conditions in comparison to TESOL language centres. Have you had any experience in teaching beginners English as a foreign language? As this is a special skill, especially if you don't speak that child's first language. Try the Cambridge TKT course, especially the one for young children.http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teachin ... tions/tkt/
If you don't have time to take the course, you could self study by downloading the TKT handbooks and perhaps buying the book. Once you are prepared you simply find your nearest test centre and take the Teacher's Knowledge Test. This is the best TESOL qualification especially for experienced teachers.
johnsimpson
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by johnsimpson »

If you have a teachers' qualification such as a PGCE , I wouldn't bother with TESOL, and go for the international schools.