Any warm-up ideas for modal auxiliaries?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

eexam

Any warm-up ideas for modal auxiliaries?

Unread post by eexam »

Hello! I need some help. I would like a funny communication warm-up activity for modal auxiliaries (should, can, could, must, have to). I can't think of any. I have a group of three students. They are at B1 level. Thanks in advance.
AlexCase
Busy Member
Busy Member

Re: Any warm-up ideas for modal auxiliaries?

Unread post by AlexCase »

That's a very wide topic. What meaning(s) of modals are you teaching them?
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: Any warm-up ideas for modal auxiliaries?

Unread post by Syl »

You can bring a pile of flashcards - pictures or drawings of objects - or even cut-outs from magazines and pasted on construction paper. Spread them on the floor, or join two desks and put them there.
Tell the pupils they are lost on a desert island, and in turn, each one comes and picks a picture and suggests how he or she can/may/might/could/should use those objects. For example:

- a student picks up a picture of a shirt and might suggest: "We could use the shirt as a flag to signal the ships"

To make the activity even more interesting, you may prepare a brainstorming after asking them what would they need on a desert island. The pictures should be different from obvious words, like the above mentioned word "flag". They would never guess you have a picture of a shirt! (or probably yes, lol, but take the chance!) ... Write the words they suggest on the board and then start the activity with the pictures.

After all the pictures have been picked up and suggestions have been made, you can start a discussion, like "Why should you use (one of the objects)?" The kids must convince you why. Another way is telling them to discuss and convince each other. You decide.

Good luck :)

Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com