Error editing

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

gredang

Error editing

Unread post by gredang »

Hi I really need help!!! Someone pls help me! Can any kind-hearted help me with this olssss :(

Error Editing
Edit the following sentences. Identify the type of error and write the revised sentence in the answer section.
Qn. 1.

ORIGINAL: For better note-taking is to read important passages and memorise it.
ERROR: _______________________________
REVISED: __________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________

ORIGINAL: Thus, it would be good to make concise additions to the lecture notes so that it could be easier to find the same paragraphs again.

________________________________________________________________________________

Qn. 3.

ORIGINAL: Mark things that is not relevant as it will distract or mislead.

Qn. 4.

ORIGINAL: Then record down the key words, phrases or sentence and then marking your comments with vertical lines in the margin by initialing them.

ORIGINAL: At the end of each section or chapter, stop to review your progress and checked that your notes are accurate.

Qn. 6.

ORIGINAL: Anything new or having answers to your questions, note them using index or look at other books for reference and seeking help from anyone who knows the answers.

Qn. 7.

ORIGINAL: To clear difficulties, refer to the index, other books or consult to get the answers.

Re: Error editing

Unread post by RosalindaPerez »

Hello Gredang. I would like to try to help by filling in the blanks that you’ve provided but for some of the sentences, there seem to be a few things that need to be clarified.

Regarding Sentence No. 1:
Why would better note-taking require memorizing important passages? Did you actually mean to say that for one to take notes better, one should be able to read and understand important points in a particular text or passage?

Regarding Sentence No. 2:
What “concise additions to the lecture notes” are you referring to? And what “same paragraphs” are you referring to?

Regarding Sentence No. 3:
Mark things that are not relevant where? Did you actually mean take out what is not relevant from your notes as these will distract or mislead?

Regarding Sentence No. 4:
Did you mean write down key words, phrases, or sentences and underlining them?

Regarding Sentence No. 5:
Error: Change “checked” to “check.” Present form of the verb is used for the imperative type of sentence.
Better version: At the end of each section or chapter, stop to review your progress and check that your notes are accurate.

Regarding Sentence No. 6:
Error: The original sentence may be overloaded as it is trying to communicate two ideas one on top of the other: the idea of note-taking and the idea of further consultation.
Better version: If you find new information or the exact answers to some of your questions, note them down immediately. If you need more details, refer to other books with the same topic or consult experts on the subject.

Regarding Sentence No. 7:
Error: The original sentence may be awkwardly phrased and needs to be reworded.
Better version: For further details or information, refer to other books with the same topic or consult individuals who are authorities on the subject.

I hope somehow the above helps.

Rosalinda Perez
cerealkillah
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: Error editing

Unread post by cerealkillah »

I would like to weigh in on this topic, too. Most of the changes Rosalinda made refer to "logical" mistakes or ambiguities (well done, btw). If you don't want to change the ideas behind the sentences and rephrase them and want to check the grammar instead, heare are my suggestions:
1) For better note-taking read important passages and memorise them.
2)Thus, it is good to make concise additions to the lecture notes so that it could be/is easier to find the same paragraphs.
or
Thus, it is good to make concise additions to the lecture notes so that you/one can find the same paragraphs more easily.
3)Concord error: plural noun requires plural verb and pronoun.
Mark things that are not relevant as they will distract or mislead (you/the reader).
4)Then write down the key words, phrases or sentence and mark your comments with vertical lines in the margin by initialing them.
5) At the end of each section or chapter, stop to review your progress and check if your notes are accurate.
6) I have nothing to add to Rosalinda's comment :wink:
7)
Double infinitive of purpose is not needed, so you either choose "to find the answers (to your questions)" or "to clear difficulties" I would choose the first option, beacuse "to clear" (or even " to clarify") may suggest that it is you who know the answers.

Hope that helps.