Thanksgiiving day

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

rebra

Re: Thanksgiiving day

Unread post by rebra »

Hello, I think that thanksgiving has lost some of its importance in Canada, especially in Quebec. I am from Eastern Canada, and on Thanksgiving Day it is a public holiday where families come together around a turkey dinner. However, I do think that it is part of Canadian culture and it should be brought up to students. I think it is a great idea to make a small celebration in the classroom to make students aware of what thanksgiving implies. Even in a multicultural classroom, the subject should be discussed. The teacher could take advantage of the situation and ask students from other cultures to talk about their tradition. Another celebration of another tradition could be celebrated in a coming week, for example.
eigonosekai

Re: Thanksgiiving day

Unread post by eigonosekai »

Thanksgiving is all about family. It is widely celebrated in the U.S.. Americans call this holiday ''a practice for Christmas'' because everyone gathers to one place from all over the country to celebrate and eat turkey. There is a lot a great activities you can do with your students depending on their age of course. You can ask them to do a cooking show in teams. You can ask them to write an invitation letter to the members of their families for Thanksgiving. You gan also prepare a listening activity in which they have to listen to a conversation of two people buying plane tickets to go visit their relatives and, fill in a question sheet. Another idea (if your school allows you do to it) is to do a ''Thanksgiving meal activity'' with your class during lunchtime.