Here comes a pretty woman

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

Sania

Here comes a pretty woman

Unread post by Sania »

Can someone help me explain why we say 'Here comes a pretty woman' instead of saying 'A pretty woman is coming.'?
GiddyGad
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: Here comes a pretty woman

Unread post by GiddyGad »

Hi Sania,
Sania wrote:Can someone help me explain why we say 'Here comes a pretty woman' instead of saying 'A pretty woman is coming.'?
It's an interesting question, an easy one as well... if you are friendly with grammar.

Do you know when a "there be" construction is used? "Here comes" is similar. It's a way of introducing a new object.

I could have given a more detailed explanation, but I don't know what you think about this phenomenon. Will you be a bit more particular about your question and we could go into more detail.

Cheers,

GiddyGad
adilk

Unread post by adilk »

Hi Sania,
"Here comes a pretty woman"
this shows a convenient situation. a situation emphasizing a previous idea.
While the second sentence""A pretty woman is coming" emphasizing on the feature and the continuity of the action of her coming.
the two sentences are different, each has its usages.
i hope this comment is useful. :) adilk
byron

Unread post by byron »

Sania wrote:Can someone help me explain why we say 'Here comes a pretty woman' instead of saying 'A pretty woman is coming.'?
The latter implies a pretty woman will be coming later.
For example, you are at a party and you say to someone "a pretty woman is coming" this shows that you know a pretty woman will be coming. Where-as if at the same party a good looking woman walked through the door you would say "here comes a pretty woman"

http://www.education-jobs.co.uk