Teaching over the internet

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Joe

EnglishChris

Unread post by EnglishChris » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:48 pm

Are there ESL teachers who have experience of teching over the internet using video chat, e.g. with Skype of MSN messnger? How would you rate the experience compared to classrooom teaching?

I have worked for one of the major language schools where private students pay $80+ per hour while the teachers get about a quarter of that. Online teaching seems to offer better value for students, and better conditions for teachers. The idea of working as an online teacher seems pretty attractive to me! Any views?

Chris

eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

teaching on-line...

Unread post by eric_p_m » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:47 am

Dear EnglishChris,

Six years and counting. 8)

Drop by my on-line school and talk to me. I am presenting in a teaching seminar for the University of Georgia next week addressing this very topic.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/

HoanggiaPhan

DEAR MY FELLOW

Unread post by HoanggiaPhan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:10 am

IM WORKING IN VIETNAM,A SMALL DEVELOPING COUNTRY WHERE PEOPLE NOW RUSH TO ENGLISH CENTERS TO GET SOME CERTIFICATES IN ENGLISH .WHAT CAN I SAY NOW ABOUT TEACHING IN E THRGH THE INTERNET OR ONLINE
UMH.,FIRST I PROPERLY ASSUME THAT TEACHING E REQUIRES A CLOSE INTERRATION BETWEEN THE STUDENTS AND THEIR TEACHER,NOT THROUGH A SCREEN.HOW WOULD YOU MAY KNOW YOUR STUDENTS' FEEDBACKS( WHEN THEY'RE TIRED .,GETTING BORED..ETC.) :roll:
SECOND,I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THIS FOR QUITE A WHILE BUT IN THE END IF WENT OFF.NOT MANY STUDENTS IN THIS COUNTRY CAN AFFORT THIS TYPE OF LEARNIN.THERE IS REALLY LONG WAY TO GO BEFORE WE CAN THINK ABOUT THIS.
I HOPE I CAN LEARN SOMETHING FROM THIS FORUM BY WRITING POSTS AND READING YOUR REPLIES TO GET MY SELF UPDATED WITH THE NEWS.I WOULD HIGHLY APPRECIATE ALL YOUR SUGGESTS AND CONTRIBUTION BECAUSE I'M FRESH TO THIS FORUM :)
REGARDS,

EnglishChris

Unread post by EnglishChris » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:38 am

I agree that teaching online is not exactly the same as the classroom experience. But I would suggest there are some attractive benefits, including

1) Flexibility: allows the student to take lessons anytime, anywhere
2) Lower cost: hourly rate can be 50% lower than private lessons with a major language school
3) Time savings: you don't need to travel to and from the language centre
4) Technology: access electronic documents (videos, texts, animaintions etc.)

As video chat software improves and more people have fast internet connections, online English teaching can only go from strength to strength.

eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

on-line teaching...

Unread post by eric_p_m » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:56 am

Dear EnglishChris,

Don't limit your imagination. I can do just about everything I normally accomplish in a physical classroom outside of the senses of touch and smell. Well, after I place you inside a virtual 3-D environment, I could touch a student there, especially if I were teaching business handshaking.

Maybe I can help you redefine what a virtual classroom is. 8)

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/

tiny

Haiiii

Unread post by tiny » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:21 am

:o Hello everybody, i'm new here. i'm from Malaysia and i would like to share many things with all of you and i hope you all will also share something with me.
8) well i do agree that teaching via internet can improve the students ability in learning something especially English. English has become a dominant language throughout the world. It has evolving not only in the western countries but also in the East Asian countries.
:D However, it is not an easy task for the teacher to attract the students to like and learn English due to difficulties to learn their second language that is English. One of the prominant way is by using internet. Internet has brings a lot of advantages to students especially in learning English as because there are many Online Learning Grammar in the net. Any comment, fell free to send to me. Bye....

noavargas

Unread post by noavargas » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:35 am

:D Hi all!!
I'm Noelia from Barcelona (SPAIN) and would like to know more about on-line teaching.
I teach in primary and I'm introducing English as ESL with kindregarden kids!! anyone interested in sharing ideas?? :idea:

Jane

Unread post by Jane » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:56 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm interested in what you've all been writing.

I'm thinking of teaching over the net myaself.

What do you do for payment? I'd love to hear how you deal with that side of things.

Jane

tiny

Unread post by tiny » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:39 am

:o Hello Jane. I read that you are very interested in Online Learning. I have done a few research regarding online learning. Through my observation and research, the teacher and anyone else are free to use the online learning. you can also used the materials that have been provided my the webster in your teaching. Any problome just email me. I can give you a few tips on how to choose a good online learning. :P

Anne

Online Teaching

Unread post by Anne » Tue May 15, 2007 7:20 pm

Hi there!

For those of you that need convincing about online teaching;the best remedy would be to give it a try. I am currently teaching online for a company in France and Beijing. I've had a a lot experience with this and it has worked for me so far.

In my humble opinion,I feel that modern techniques have initated the promotion of real learning and a new concept in the communicative approach to learning a language. A teacher can also integrate new concepts quicker and more effectively.

If anyone is intersted in learning online or you would like to know some of my techniques, please drop me an e-mail.

Cheers
Anne Murphy
English Language Consultant
E-mail:englishconsultancy@gmail.com

Heads Up Eng
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: Teaching over the internet

Unread post by Heads Up Eng » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:20 am

I watched a few online classes recently with my company as a first step into integrating those teachers into our training program. To be honest, every part of the online lesson fit with traditional EFL methodology. The structure of the lessons generally were:

1. The teacher warmed up the students with a short activity.
2. The teacher presented the target language, called for examples, and provided a few additional examples.
3. The teacher drilled with the students to reinforce the material.
4. The teacher added to the language, answered some questions, and moved into a dialogue.
5. The teacher set up a role play, participated in it, and allowed the students to move beyond the limited scope of the lesson and incorporate other aspects of English with the day's target language.

The lessons sometimes had one student, sometimes two students. The only problem I could foresee would be with three or more students, because it wouldn't be possible to break the class into separate pairs to practice drilling the language. Two people (one from each pair) would be speaking at the same time.

Maybe some other people have solutions around this problem. But with today's technology, online classroom environments for EFL seem to work just as well as teaching in a traditional classroom.

Chris Cotter
Heads Up English - English materials based on current events. Just print and teach!
http://www.headsupenglish.com

tocian_english

Unread post by tocian_english » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:25 pm

Dear all,
I'm an elementary English teacher in Taiwan. I couldn't agree more the benefits that you have mentioned above. Moreover, i'd like to emphasize the very benefit for EFL students: a chance for them to use English in daily life. For students in Taiwan, English is a foreign language, which is not available outside the classroom. Thus, my students, for example, regard English as a subject but not a tool of communication. That's why I'm looking for on-line language exchange from students around the world through Yahoo messenger or MSN. If this works, the students will be highly motivated to learn English. So, if you are interested in my project, please contact me at
. Of course, if you have any opinions on using voice chatrooms to learn English, you are also welcome.

Best wishes,
Will

jimmygirl

Unread post by jimmygirl » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:49 am

Hi everybody!

I'm a newbie here and is interested to teach English online...
I have some experience teaching English to Korean, and now wants to try this online teaching...
Can anybody suggests and advices me some tips?
Thanks a lot in advance!
I am happy to join this group...wish everybody a luck!

:) ciao,
Jim

xecole

Unread post by xecole » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:12 am

There are lots of excellent resources online for tutoring and training. My personal favourite is http://www.verbbusters.com, which deals with the irregular verbs but there are lots more.