Present Unreal Conditionals

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

myvidentity

Present Unreal Conditionals

Unread post by myvidentity »

Hello fellow teachers,

I have some problems regarding illustrating present unreal conditional. Although, I have presented the students (teenagers) with many examples, and to the greatest extent they know that it is just in the past form, they fail when it comes to production.

Best.

Mohammad
becki
Busy Member
Busy Member

Re: Present Unreal Conditionals

Unread post by becki »

I know what you're saying. Students can generally understand the grammar point, but have difficulty putting it into practice. I recommend taking note of common errors that you hear during the production stage. Then, review the errors at the end of class and also at the beginning of the next class.

There are some speaking activities that practice using present unreal conditionals, including conversation cards for giving advice, a role play, and a game board at http://www.eflsensei.com/?scategory=33.

All the best!
Becki
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Syl »

Great site, Becki!

The activity with the boardgame for Mohammad's specific question is fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

Syl
profteach

Unread post by profteach »

Mohammad, I usually break my class into groups and do a role play. We cover things we wish we had - a pony, a million dollars etc and then imagine what we would do with that money. The discussion/RP would then lead into an explanation of what present unreal conditionals are. It usually works for me. Hope this helps!
myvidentity

Unread post by myvidentity »

Thank you all: Becki, Syl, and Profteach.