Monitoring a Speaking Activity in Pairs

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

MidlandsUK

Monitoring a Speaking Activity in Pairs

Unread post by MidlandsUK »

Dear teachers / fellow student teachers,

I am soon embarking on my teaching practice session and would appreciate any advice as to how I can monitor in an effective way a speaking activity in the class. This activity requires students in pairs to interview each other, so that they practice vocabulary about likes & dislikes, preferences and giving reasons.

Do I walk among the students and stop near each pair to listen to what they are saying? Do I just walk among the children without making it too obvious that I am listening to what they're saying? Will I disturb them, or cause they shy ones to stop the interview (which would spoil their chance of learning)? Would love any tips, tricks and advice that you might have :) It will surely help.

Ann
Susan

Re: Monitoring a Speaking Activity in Pairs

Unread post by Susan »

I'd move around discreetly if the class is large. If there are fewer than 20 people in the class, sit right in the middle of all of them and listen to each pair in turn without moving. YOu'll be surprised by how much you can hear by doing that.
MidlandsUK

Re: Monitoring a Speaking Activity in Pairs

Unread post by MidlandsUK »

Thank you very much for your reply. I am frightened of discouraging them or getting them to become disengaged in the activity if they are not that comfortably with speaking English. SInce it is a speaking activity, I would like them to feel free to speak, however due to a lot reverting back to L1, I am also aware that without the teacher's presence nearby...they'll talk in Maltese and not English, taking away their opportunity for learning. I think I need to strike a balance according to the kind of class / learners. Thanks :)