TP1 advice

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

ditta

TP1 advice

Unread post by ditta »

Hello,

I have my first teaching practice next week and I am little nervous although quietly confident. I was looking for advice any members could offer here.

I have completed my lesson plan, need to print and organise all my materials. It is only 20 mins, entry level learners, and I am teaching telling the time. I am going to stick with the activities mentioned in the TP notes given and book (Straightforward Beginner). I have included an extension task if necessary near the end.

The other notable item is the mountable whiteboard clock that I am going to use at the beginning of the lesson although I am trying not to let this dominate or shape the lesson.

Pronunciation problems is one thing I have analysed although not 100% sure what other problems I might encounter.

I feel the learners are a good bunch and hopefully it should be good.

Thanks for any help.
Susan

Re: TP1 advice

Unread post by Susan »

Sounds like you have everything covered. Just think about how you'll deal with any errors that come up.
Susan
ditta

Unread post by ditta »

Thanks and that's good to hear. I think I will have a further look at any problems I might encounter during the lesson and beyond that, not much else I can think of.
ditta

Unread post by ditta »

Just an update. The TP went great. I was a little nervous before but this was gone quickly. The students produced the target language quick and activities were completed well.

Definite areas for improvement, instructions first and then give handouts (hope this is right), don't be too bossy (not intervention) in the lesson and give students more time to complete the activity. The bossy refers to some students speaking in their native tongue and I admonished them to only use English. I could have been nicer when doing this. Next TP I will have 40-45 mins to play with I think, so I will try to be more relaxed and take my time.

Thanks for allowing me to express my thoughts here.
Susan

Unread post by Susan »

You're welcome and thanks for letting us know how it went.
I'm glad for you.