Finding online students

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

cchipsher

Finding online students

Unread post by cchipsher »

I am new to online English tutoring and would like some advice on where to advertise to international students. I teach English conversation, IELTS/TOEFL prep and functional literacy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: Finding online students

Unread post by Syl »

I think the best thing is to keep posting in English forums. But not just advertising yourself - participate in the discussions, help people with their questions and so on. I am sure there will come a moment when people will look for you, ask them to write to you privately. I hope you succeed, good luck!

Syl
cchipsher

Unread post by cchipsher »

Thank you Syl, I appreciate your response!
johnsimpson
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by johnsimpson »

Online students? Do you mean Skype? Do you find this work reliable and profitable as a professional regular income? Or do you mean offering interractive courses on an LMS such as moodle. Now we would be talking.

You do need your own website, and you do need to make it searchable, and try writing blogs for example.
johnsimpson
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by johnsimpson »

I was shocked to discover the number of websites attempting to cheat online teachers by offering a low salary to teach English. Search skype teaching, and use only those sites where the teacher sets their own price rates, and that their commission is not too high. A 20% commission would be acceptable. Better still get your own website, and advertise yourself as much as possible. This site for example looks honest at least.
http://www.verbalplanet.com/tutorhome.asp
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Syl »

They are probably honest but sooooo expensive! "Our Average Rate for a 45 Minute Online Language Lesson
is Just $22.00 Before Discounts." I wonder how much tutors are paid...
Skype teaching, though, and building a website are great ideas!
Rory

Unread post by Rory »

I think having a website is important to find online students. I have lots of students starting conversations with me on g+ but nobody is actually starting and paying for lessons. I still think the best way to find students is word of mouth - if you can.
This is an interesting blog post about teaching online - perhaps not so helpful for you - but maybe if you need to convince students why to learn online...http://ielts-source.com/benefits-online-learning/
LeesaJohnson
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by LeesaJohnson »

Websites and classified sites play an important role in students search where teachers can find requested students of any subject. There are many learning resources available for solving any subject problem.