postcards and poetry and penpals and snail mail

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Joe

postcards

postcards and poetry and penpals and snail mail

Unread post by postcards » Sat May 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Hello everyone, I have been teaching English for 5+ years in Italy, Spain and China. I am back in the USA now applying to new countries but in the meantime..

I started this project called The Postcard Movement and I think it would be good for students to try. I am a snail mail enthusiast and I know others are too! Basically, you would teach them a style of poetry, any style at all. Students can write it on a postcard and mail it in anonymously or dedicate it to someone.

I tried a smaller version of this and it was such a success, I now want to make it global. (FYI, I always taught haikus) I set up a P.O. box where I will receive the postcards. It is meant to be anonymous so no one feels pressure or feels inclined to be less honest when writing.

If anyone wants to participate, maybe turn it into a class, I would love your feedback/thoughts/ideas. I will be posting it on social media platforms although I am not fully sure which. So far I can be found on Instagram @thepostcardmovement. It is just getting started so I am in a trial phase. Please feel free to send me a message! Or even your own poetry on a postcard!

P.O. Box 610175
Bayside, NY 11361
USA

Lastly, I was looking for a way to incorporate penpals between students but that will come much later if the movement catches on.

Thanks for your time!

Salwa
Busy Member
Busy Member

Re: postcards and poetry and penpals and snail mail

Unread post by Salwa » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:34 pm

Hello,
I'm an English teacher for secondary school female students (grade 11 and 12) in Kuwait and I'm interested in the experience of the penpal. If you still want try it together, plz email me back on
Salwa_arg@yahoo.fr
Looking forward to hear from you to know the details of your schedule
Thank you
Salwa :)