Digital Language Lab??

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

aporter

Digital Language Lab??

Unread post by aporter »

This is my first post in this forum. I want to thank in advance anyone that takes the time to respond.

Back in the early 90`s (Yes, I am old.) I taught using a cassette-based language lab. It was a LOT more work than just teaching and after three years I decided that the results were not any better than regular classwork and homework. A few months after reaching this conclusion, I read an article that confirmed what I had lived firsthand. After that, I shunned language labs.

Fast-forward to 2015. I have a boss who does not speak English but considers himself an expert on language teaching (sound familiar?) and he just decided that he wants our school to have a language lab (NOOOO!!!).

We already have a computer lab. I just want to buy USB headsets and find software (for children and adults) that will simulate the lab experience with games and activities and of course the listen-and-repeat-and-then-hear-yourself aspect. I would also like this magical software to print out an activity report that the student can hand in that will show what exercises were completed and how much time spent and etcetera. I currently use in my adult classes a series called Top Notch that generates a report like this and it works out much better than a workbook because it is self-correcting and the students just email the activity report to me as a PDF.

Our computer lab runs Windows 8, so I need software that will run on that OS. Any help will earn you big karma points. Thank you.
aporter

Re: Digital Language Lab??

Unread post by aporter »

I am replying to my own post. I searched and found a system called TeLL Me More Kids which seems to be what I am looking for, although it is reportedly a discontinued product. The product reviews say it runs on obsolete OS like Vista and XP, so I emailed tech support and they say that it will run on Windows 8.

Does anyone have any experience with this software? It isn`t designed to use with classes, but is for self-taught students. I could still get it on Amazon, but I would like to find something newer if posible.

Please let me know.
Susan

Re: Digital Language Lab??

Unread post by Susan »

Sorry, never heard of it.