New Teacher: Reteaching Phonics to a Difficult Student, Suggestions?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

EmCar

New Teacher: Reteaching Phonics to a Difficult Student, Suggestions?

Unread post by EmCar »

I have currently begun to tutor a student at my new job. His parents wanted me to tutor him in math in English, however I have realized that he needs basic Phonics training first. He does not know the sounds for the alphabets, so he cannot sound words out. I am starting with him there with vowels and consonants, but I do not know where else to take him since we are starting so basic even though he already has English training. He also has trouble with retention. We will go over something about five times or more, and I will ask him about it not even a minute later and he will tell me, "I don't know." Any suggestions on activities I can do with him, or advice on how to get things to move along?
frankm

Re: New Teacher: Reteaching Phonics to a Difficult Student, Suggestions?

Unread post by frankm »

Hi EmCar,

I have collaborated with an accent coach in the past and she suggested a series of vocal exercises which are repetitive enough that anyone eventually assimilates the correct pronunciation, yet they are not boring.

She pointed out a training program called accent perfect ]bit.ly/1MfERcD
that incorporates these exercises (you'll find it on the apple store/google play/windows)