Grammar questions-need help

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Joe

Leah

Grammar questions-need help

Unread post by Leah » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:46 am

Hello!
I would like someexperienced teachers to help me with some grammar moments. I will give concret examples: 1. "Robin Hood is a fairy hero of English folklore." - Do we need to use in such cases the article "a" or not. Why?
2. How it is right: "do it in another way"
or "do it another way"
3. What is the difference between "somebody" and "someone". In which cases we is the first and in which cases we you use the second????

Thank you very much for help!!!!!

Susan

Re: Grammar questions-need help

Unread post by Susan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:39 pm

Hello,

1 You need to use "a" because there are many fairy tale heroes and you are talking about one of those. Just for info, Robin Hood was a real person, so he isn't actually a person from a fairy tale.
2 "Do it another way" is correct.
3 Somebody and someone mean the same thing almost all the time. I wouldn't cover any difference with students unless they were really advanced.I'm not even sure myself if there is a difference, I'd have to look it up in a grammar reference book.

Susan

cerealkillah
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: Grammar questions-need help

Unread post by cerealkillah » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:23 pm

According to M. Swan ("Practical English Usage"):
There is no significant difference between somebody and someone, anybody and anyone, everybody and everyone or nobody and no one. The forms with -one are more common; those with -body are a little more informal.