Teaching over the phone

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Joe

napoleonnette

Teaching over the phone

Unread post by napoleonnette » Wed May 18, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi, I've been looking for ideas or lesson plans for teaching students over the phone. I currently have pre-intermediate and intermediate classes on the phone - 30 minute sessions. I have been unable to find any ideas online and I am really struggling with the pre-intermediate classes (especially low pre-intermediate).

Do any teachers have an advice, ideas or know where I could find ressources to help me? Any help would be appreciated.

philipchesney

Re: Teaching over the phone

Unread post by philipchesney » Thu May 19, 2016 1:13 pm

Hello Napoleonnette,
If I were giving my students 30 minute lessons over the phone, I would have them do a quick read on their own prior to the call/phone lesson. That way the student is aligned with the topic, can have a better conversation, and answer your short list of questions. Some of my students can't always make it to my online classes, so I have done this in the past and it has worked quite well.
If you are looking for any lesson plans for blended learning or online classes, check out my free teacher resources at: http://www.englishkey.com/register.php?type=teacher
Hope this helps!
Happy Teaching!

lsolutions

Unread post by lsolutions » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:00 am

Hello
I think that you may be struggling because the level is too low for this kind of lesson. I only do telephone lessons with good A2 levels upwards. If you have no alternative, you could combine e-learning work with feedback over the phone and you will need to give good back-up by email so they are well-prepared to speak on the phone.

Ghost

Unread post by Ghost » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:18 am

Hello,
I think it depends on the age and number of students. I assume you have related textbooks for these students. If I were you,I would probably choose some reading or listening materials from these books and give them to students to read or listen before the class. Then I just need to choose several suitable activites like role-play. Each activity last for 3-5 min, followed by 2-3 feedback. At last I will give a summary which lasts for 2-3 min.