Teacher complains my classes are too much fun

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

moorphy

Teacher complains my classes are too much fun

Unread post by moorphy »

I've just taken on a new night class in NJ. Students are beginners-CASAS 195-205 with better reading than speaking.

I do a lot of brain gym, TPR and other body related teaching. I specialize in pronunciation. We have fun. My teaching technique is for students have a great time in class and have fun while learning. They didn't want to leave class because it was so good for them--I could have taught another hour.

I replaced a retiring teacher who gave them all writing and computer. The teacher the other night does all grammar and writing and is very good.

As I left class, I told my supervisor how delighted I was with the class and how much much fun we have. She said I should give them homework and be more serious, because the other teacher told her some students said it was too much fun, so they didn't feel they were learning. (Two women didn't come back). The supervisor said I need to cut down the fun!

I was nonplussed. I have taught classes there for years and always have good reviews. Students learn well.

What would _you_ do? I'm not willing to change my teaching style, but I'm outraged that another teacher wants to tell me how to teach. I certainly wouldn't tell her to liven up the classroom and stop boring the students so much. Every teacher, IMO, must teach the best way for him.

My internal reaction was immature. My feelings were hurt.

I plan to laugh it off, to a point, and tell the supervisor to remember how I always increase class-size, have excellent student retention, and have great testing successes with my WOT. And that I'm glad to have the other teacher's input but I need to stick to it my way.

Any feedback?
Susan

Re: Teacher complains my classes are too much fun

Unread post by Susan »

It sounds like there is a bit of jealousy going on. I wouldn't take the comments of the other teacher seriously. However, I'd consider what the supervisor said. Respond to her and give your opinion. It sounds valid so she should take it on board.
cerealkillah
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by cerealkillah »

moorphy wrote:... they didn't feel they were learning.
That's the best thing any teacher would want to hear! I would give you a raise. ;-)
moorphy

Unread post by moorphy »

moorphy wrote:some students said it was too much fun
@cerealkillah Some students feel that if they aren't suffering, they aren't learning so if it's fun, it's bad LOL. BTW, this was after two classes. And the class keeps growing.

Pronunciation, listening and speaking need to be approached from many directions.
moorphy

Unread post by moorphy »

Susan wrote:It sounds like there is a bit of jealousy going on. I wouldn't take the comments of the other teacher seriously. However, I'd consider what the supervisor said. Respond to her and give your opinion. It sounds valid so she should take it on board.
Thanks Susan. I appreciate your feedback and think you are right. Thanks for the support.
Susan

Unread post by Susan »

You're welcome. Hope it gets sorted.