Introduction to the new season of TEFL in China

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

KimJ

Introduction to the new season of TEFL in China

Unread post by KimJ »

First time to EnglishClub, just would like to share a bit of my viewpoints as a TEFL teacher now in China. Just finished my first 10-month contract at Hangzhou with Zhejiang University Helen Group. The new term of Chinese schools starts on Feb, so just doing the renewal of my contract. Anyone interested in the new season, should have apply and prepare your documents ASAP.

Few suggestions and tips for those candidates applying for TEFL jobs in China, which I get asked by most of my friends who want to work in China:

1. WHAT IS THE AGE LIMIT?
The age range to teach English in China is between 21 and 60 years old.
If you are over 60 and have extensive teaching experience, the Chinese government may accept you. However, you will be required to conduct a Health Examination in your own country before applying for a visa.

2. WHAT IS THE NATIONALITY REQUIREMENT? (May be the biggest issue, most candidates lost the chance because of the nationality limit)
Native speakers are most welcomed by schools around China. According to the standard of SAFEA, passport holders from UK, USA, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are recognized as native speakers. Candidates who speak native-like English including native speakers from the above mentioned five nations as well as people from Europe sometimes are acceptable. (non-native speakers will also need to obtain a SAFEA approved TEFL Course before they apply for teaching job in China as according to the requirement of the Chinese authorities). However, if you do have Bachelor degree from a university in native-speaking countries, it will be fine.

3. HOW MUCH WILL I GET PAID?
It must be remembered that the cost of living in China is very low compared to Western countries. The basic salary, depending on teaching experience and locations in China ranges from 5,000RMB to 8,000RMB. Last year I've been working at Hangzhou Maiyuqiao elementary schools and they paid me 8,500RMB per month with free accommodation. I would say, kind a fair as I still have insurance back in my own country.

Overall, last year was a very interesting year. My students are quite discipline, Helen Group is kinda helpful, I was also contacting with my agent in UK as well. Both my agent and Chinatefl Network, Helen Group are co-operative. Looking forward to the new year. Btw, Hangzhou is definitely an amazing city! Just some thoughts at the moment, feel free to discuss and you can always PM me.