Online TESL/TESOL/TEFL Courses?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

TonyNZ

Online TESL/TESOL/TEFL Courses?

Unread post by TonyNZ »

Hello everyone, my name is Tony :) I am new to this forum :D

I'm looking for some advice/referrals in regards to an online ESL teaching course.

My situation is a little unique, as I have 3 years teaching experience - all of which I did without any training :shock: . I was in China, and most of my teaching took place at a university - though, I did teach younger age groups too.

My role at the university was to provide "Oral English" classes. As far as I was concerned, that meant I needed to facilitate and stimulate a class environment where the students felt motivated and comfortable (as can be) to exercise, test and challenge their English abilities. I took my job at the university seriously. The school provided some really boring textbooks - which my students told me they didn't like. I looked through them and determined I could do better and so I took it upon myself to design my own syllabus, content, materials etc. The students loved it, the university loved me - but needless too say, I eventually ran myself into the ground. It was too much work. The whole situation there became quite complicated for me in many respects - I got sick, and long story short, I returned home at the end of 2015. I've spent just over a year reflecting on it all, considering the life I left behind (here in NZ) and my options for the future. I almost all respects, I was totally unprepared. I have decided that I will return to China, but this time I have a better idea of what I am getting myself into, and how to prepare myself. I would like to work at a university again (though will be open to other opportunities/possibilities also) - but first, I want to do a course in teaching English/language. I want to feel confident that I understand the more technical side of English/language learning - and to be equipped with useful perspectives and tools for the classroom. Having a certificate will also be useful in terms of contract negotiations etc.

I am looking for an online TESL/TESOL/TEFL course which best suits my needs. Since I already have a lot of practical experience, I hope to find one which focuses more on the technical, grammatical, theoretical side of English/language learning and teaching.. My impression is that most TESL/TESOL/TEFL are designed to prepare people to go teach English for the first time...? So I assume the majority of the courses out there would deal more with the practical, logistical sides of teaching..?

I'm a native English speaker - but I feel that as a teacher, I need a firmer understanding of English and language learning.. can anyone recommend TESL/TESOL/TEFL courses out there with this kind of particular focus?

I'll appreciate any constructive advice or opinions!

Thanks a lot

Xin Nian Kuai Le!

Tony

PS: I'm looking for an online course because of budget and time constraints. I'm living in the country side helping my grandparents.
sheryltom

Re: Online TESL/TESOL/TEFL Courses?

Unread post by sheryltom »

I just got TEFL certified through www.gettefl.com. Great course! I highly recommend it.