TEFL task help

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

myselfraf

TEFL task help

Unread post by myselfraf »

Hi, Can someone help me verify the answers please? Thank you.

TKT Practice Task - Identifying Aims
For questions 1- 7, match the lesson summaries with the lesson aims listed A-H. There is one extra option which you do not need to use.
Lesson summaries (Options below)
A: For students to develop listening skills for detail.
B: For students to review and consolidate vocabulary.
C: For students awareness to be raised on sentence and paragraph linking.
D: For students to develop speaking skills for fluency.
E: For students to learn autonomously
F: For students to develop writing skills for a communicative purpose.
G: For students to practise using the present perfect accurately.
H: For students to review and practise using modal verbs of obligation

Question 1: Students work together to produce a word map poster for expressions related to travel. Students write definitions for some of these for the class to identify which expressions are being described.
Question 2: Students decide on the correct order of a jumbled text. They focus on pronouns, conjunctions and time expressions and go on to write a similar text.
Question 3: Students brainstorm ideas in pairs to devise roles and then work with another pair for a discussion based on these. The teacher monitors the discussion.
Question 4: Students read different texts on polite table manners and exchange information. Groups work together to complete lists of rules for visitors to their country, using should, shouldn't, must and mustn't.
Question 5: Students listen to a recording and identify which tense the speakers use to describe past experiences. The teacher checks understanding. Students do pronunciation drills and practise using the structure in a guided discussion.
Question 6: Students brainstorm ideas and vocabulary for a brochure to advertise their college to students. They draft a text in pairs and exchange these with another pair to correct and suggest improvements.
Question 7: Students look at leaflets on the facilities of a leisure resort, and listen to conversation of people using some of these. Students decide which of the facilities are mentioned.

The most appropriate answers I found is: q1- e, q2- b, q3- d, q4- h, q5- g, q6- f, q7- a

Thanks a million in advance. Cheers
flyeogh

Re: TEFL task help

Unread post by flyeogh »

myselfraf a bit late I guess but you need to look at B and E again.

E says autonomous and 1 says students work together so that cannot be right.

Personally I think these types of question give an ego trip to the developer of the course material and add little benefit to the student. They end up being resolved mathematically with logic and set theory. Great if you are into that stuff but what it has to do with ESL I have no idea.
Susan

Unread post by Susan »

what it has to do with ESL I have no idea.

Good point!
absa

Unread post by absa »

Hello! Could you do me the favor to answer the following questions?

Match the activity (1 – 10) to the reason for the activity:
The teacher pronounces a word and then gets the class to repeat the word together.
The teacher asks the students how they like to be corrected.
The teacher writes new vocabulary on the side of the whiteboard and leaves it on the board for the whole lesson.
The teacher encourages a discussion on web development to a group of e-commerce experts.
The teacher asks students to find out 5 pieces of information from 3 other students in the class.
The teacher sets up a series of role-plays for the students.
The teachers asks the students to look at pictures of different extreme weather before listening to a recording of a weather forecast.
The teacher plays a quick game of I-Spy at the beginning of the lesson.
The teacher elicits sentences using the structures / vocabulary that has just been taught.
The teacher introduces the students to a website featuring practice grammar tests.

1. Modelling new vocabulary and drilling to ensure that the class can learn the correct pronunciation.
2. Giving the students the opportunity to practise the language that has been taught or introduced.
3. Checking that the class have understood the language points that have been taught.
4. Setting the scene and allowing the students to think of vocabulary and structures that may be relevant.
5. Highlighting one of the aims of the lesson and ensuring that students have the time to refer to it throughout the lesson.
6. Giving the students guidance and tools to develop their learning on their own.
7. A 'warmer' to get the class focussing on English.
8. Personalising the lesson to the students interests and knowledge.
9. Providing a reason for students to talk in English to each other.
10. Finding out about the students learning preferences.