Think in English

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

Mr.Libyan
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Think in English

Unread post by Mr.Libyan »

What is the best way to train our students to think in English not in the native language?
Weibing
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Weibing »

Everyone could have thoughts or ideas, no matter what language they speak. If their mother tongue happens to be English or they have leared English, they could express their thoughts or ideas in the language English.

I have thoughts and sometimes may have a good idea, but totally unaware what language I'm thinking in. Then if I'd like to, I'd present the idea in English.

I admit I don't really know what is 'to think in English', even though someone really told me to try to do so. It's misleading!
Weibing
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Weibing »

But when you want to write or to say something in English, you have to think in it! Usually, people have thoughts, feelings etc subconsciously, and most probably in their own language. If you like, however, you could immediately think the counterpart in English!
Heads Up Eng
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Heads Up Eng »

Talk to yourself. Most people have internal monologues all the time. So simply do this in the language that you want to learn.

At lower levels, you're working out sentence patterns, and using words and grammar studied in class. As you progress in ability, your conversations will get more detailed, interesting, and real. I've assigned most of my students an hour a day to think in English, and I've really noticed a leap in fluency.

Good luck!

Chris Cotter
Heads Up English - Materials based on current events. Just print, and teach!
http://www.headsupenglish.com
Mr.Libyan
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Mr.Libyan »

Weibing wrote: people have thoughts, feelings etc subconsciously, and most probably in their own language. !
Thinking in their own language!!!
This is more likely, so how we could break this wall and make it easy to think straight in the english language?
Ben

Unread post by Ben »

A good first step is to get your students using English dictionaries (or learner dictionaries) as soon as they are able. Their vocabulary grows much faster when they use English to learn new English words.
Lynn
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Lynn »

Yes, Ben. Using dictionaries is a good step. I suggest that they do a lot of reading as well. I have my students read a lot, and discuss their reading in English. They also have to keep a vocabulary notebook that includes the original context for the word, part of speech, definition based on the way the word is used in the original context and their own original sentence that demonstrates an understanding of the word. All entries are in English. As students build their vocabulary, their ability to think in English improves.