ESL for Beginners / Foreigners: Questions? Pls. comment. Tnx

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

cpz1

ESL for Beginners / Foreigners: Questions? Pls. comment. Tnx

Unread post by cpz1 »

hi,

as a teacher, what is our priority in teaching english to foreigners? is it the accent, accent reduction, pronunciation, grammer, etc.?

or do we prioritize first in helping them learn basic english and build their vocabulary?

thanks.
carlos / philippines
Ben

Unread post by Ben »

I think the important question is what are the students' priorities? We can have our own goals but the student is rarely going to learn something he or she is not interested in learning.

Personally, my goal is to improve my students' communicative ability. So I enjoy vocabulary lessons and discussion classes where the emphasis is not on accuracy but in expressing an opinion. I feel if I can provide them with something they want to say, then it provides motivation to learn grammar, etc. I love grammar (and some students do as well) but I prefer to create a situation where you need grammar (conditionals, authentic texts, etc.) rather than just giving it to them. Similarly, when students want to communicate and people don't understand their accent, they want to improve it.

Basically, I think the teacher's main priority should be to get the students to make learning English a personal priority. It takes a lot of work and risk-taking, and it never works with all of the students, but when motivated students leave your class to go to the next level or somewhere else you know that they are the ones equipped to succeed.
Lynn
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Lynn »

Ben has given you sage advice about prioritizing your classes. I like to spend a day or two listening to my students as they outline their goals for taking my class. I take copious notes at this stage, and then try to tailor my classes to meet thier needs and expectations. As Ben points out, not every single student will feel their own personal needs have been met at every level, but if you really pay attention in the initial interview stage, you will know you have at least tried to meet as many expectations as possible.