emergency help! question from an english teacher-to-be

For general discussion between ESL teachers.

Moderator: Joe

starseeker

emergency help! question from an english teacher-to-be

Unread post by starseeker » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:33 am

thank you for your reading :)

i'll become an english teacher in China in a year's time and now is working as the teacher of a mini-class.

could you tell me how to make your students listen to your command and do as you say?

...well, maybe i'm too good-tempered to be angry with them that i've found it 's difficult to keep the classroom quiet.

there're only 20 students in my mini-class, if i can't control them, how can i confront with the class which is filled with more than 40 students in the future?

sometimes i'll go to the both extremes. all the new teachers will have the same problem i guess.

in my first lesson, i taught them in a... well... dull way, so they were talking with each other without even looking at me. so i changed my way of teaching in the second lesson, in an exciting and interesting way. we looking at pictures and played games.

it really worked in the first 25 minutes, but in the following 15 minutes... i believed they were too excited... again they played by themselves and forgot to listen to me at all :(

how can i control them?

although my teacher told me that shout to them would work, but i don't think it's a good idea...

Graziela
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: emergency help! question from an english teacher-to-be

Unread post by Graziela » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:48 pm

Well, I teach English in Brazil....and there are 20 students in the class...I also have problems with discipline and I went through the same situation as you....
What I think it helps is to have a good relationship with them...become their friends and they will be more respectful! Do this but don't lose the sense of authority that it is given to you!
If they don't listen to you....just stay in front of the class....waiting for attention....call for attention and wait.....they will notice you....
What I do sometimes is I go to some students and ask for attention and then I go to another group of students and.....so on...until all of them are quiet....
Like you, I don't believe is nice to shout....but sometimes is necessary...
Hope I was some help to you
Best wishes,
Graziela
Get ideas for your lessons at:
http://www.getenglishlessons.com

starseeker

Unread post by starseeker » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:49 am

Graziela wrote:Well, I teach English in Brazil....and there are 20 students in the class...I also have problems with discipline and I went through the same situation as you....
What I think it helps is to have a good relationship with them...become their friends and they will be more respectful! Do this but don't lose the sense of authority that it is given to you!
If they don't listen to you....just stay in front of the class....waiting for attention....call for attention and wait.....they will notice you....
What I do sometimes is I go to some students and ask for attention and then I go to another group of students and.....so on...until all of them are quiet....
Like you, I don't believe is nice to shout....but sometimes is necessary...
Hope I was some help to you
Best wishes,
Graziela
Get ideas for your lessons at:
http://www.getenglishlessons.com
thank you very much for your answer!it's helpful:-D

haha, glad to meet another new teacher here;-)

Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Syl » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:48 am

Hi, starseeker and Graziela!

Well, I'm not new :D .. I have 31 years of teaching experience, both elementary school (from grades 3 to 6) and junior high (grade 7 - 12). Israeli students aren't easy, they respect a teacher but consider him/her as their friend, and it is hard to have them under control. I'm also Brazilian and was educated in Sao Paulo with a totally different mentality, with patterns of behavior that aren't very common here. Class management is a challenge!

With time, I developed some techniques and I'd like to share them with you.

- Before the lesson starts, write the lesson plan on the board, and at the end of each item, tick it. The last item is always something very fun that they like, for example, a game, a song, a quiz. If there are discipline problems, they delay the lesson plan, and students want that last treat!

- Make a big laminated "smiley" (A4 size). At the beginning of the year explain to the classes that whenever that smiley is hanging on the board, the students have to stick to the rules that were established together (a kind of "negotiation" taken in the first lesson).

- The rules are printed and hanging on a wall in the classroom (This is practical for those that have an English Room - if not, then ask the Home Teachers to provide for a board which will be used only for English). Example of rules: Put your hands up when you want to talk - Listen to a mate when he/she is speaking, never interrupt.. and so on.

- Keep a record of their behavior - prepare a table with their names and the same items that are written in the rules (arrived in time, prepared homework, interrupted/didn't interrupt teacher, etc). At the beginning of the lesson mention those that got the first places. Kids love competitions!

- Shouting isn't very effective at least here in Israel. The opposite, talking in a low voice and not repeating what you must say causes the kids to ask you to repeat if they are not silent. If you are assertive and tell them that being quiet will make things easier and they will hear the teacher, slowly slowly they get used and respect that rule.

I hope this helps, there are many other ideas, and each teacher develops his own, with time and experience. Good luck!

(Graziela, your site is awesome, different from mine, but I admire and appreciate so much talented teachers that are willing to share with colleagues without asking anything in return. Mine is also "volunteer" work :D )

Syl

Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com