American-Indian ESL Textbook?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

cb51

American-Indian ESL Textbook?

Unread post by cb51 »

Hi All,
I would like feedback on the following.
The program where I work chose to focus a semester on American Indian-related topics, and it became  clear to me that it was difficult to obtain material concerning American Indians that was suitable for ESL students. Moreover, it became evident that most of the students knew very little about American Indians. As a consequence, I've begun to develop a text which is intended to meet this need. The student target level is high-intermediate to advanced, and the principle focus is placed on reading skills. The exercises are written to involve students in group discussions and research projects. 

It is divided into units covering several  tribes in each of 5 geographic regions of the United States.  Each chapter within a unit treats a particular tribe, providing some history, description of culture (past and present), and a myth from this tribe. In addition there are exercises relating to all the text.   I’m  also developing  a teacher’s guide and answer key.

My questions are:
1) would this text be useful to you as an ESL teacher?
2) Do you have thoughts on ways I could improve my approach?

Your help will be appreciated!
Cb51
Graziela
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: American-Indian ESL Textbook?

Unread post by Graziela »

Asnwer to question number one: Yes, it would be useful for teachers...but it's hard to judge if all students will be interested in that. I guess a certain analysis of where these students are from and how old they are would be necessary...
Answer to question number two: A good approach to arouse students' interest is always get the subject compared to their lives and their interests. So, we can compare the indians lives and the students'lives and open discussions that can make you really think about the modern world....
I don't know....This is just the perception I get from your work...I may be wrong!
Best wishes,
Graziela Peleteiro

[url]http:www.getenglishlessons.com[/url]
cb51

Re: American-Indian ESL Textbook?

Unread post by cb51 »

Dear Graziela,

Thank you very much for your insights. I've been so focused on the needs of the teacher, that I almost forgot the importance of connecting with the students! I'll work on your suggestions.
Again,
Thanks -- you're great!
cb51