The use of songs in teaching vocabulary to Primary School Ss

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

MartaJoko

The use of songs in teaching vocabulary to Primary School Ss

Unread post by MartaJoko »

Hi there,
I am writing my diploma project and I am looking for materials connected with the topic given in the title , I will be thankful if u give me some clues. thx xx
TutorT
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: The use of songs in teaching vocabulary to Primary School Ss

Unread post by TutorT »

G'day MartaJoko from Australia :D

I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you but I have recently launched a site - http://www.tutortunes.com that makes availabe songs that I have specifically written grammatical focuses into the lyrics. My songs are popsongs designed to sound like normal popsongs you might hear on the radio but might have a lot of prepositions, or irregular verbs, or idioms, etc , in the lyrics.
I would classify my songs as "Adult Contemporary Pop" and not children's music however I wonder if the philosophy is the same. The brain uses it's creative centres more efficiently to recall language if the words are grouped in a melody....
If you put ESL SONGS MUSIC into google you can find other sites delivering music to aid the learning of English.

Best of luck
Grainger Lock
ICAL_Pete
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

See also these 2 articles in the ICALwiki:

Songs in the Classroom

Karoake in the Classroom
teaching

Unread post by teaching »

Teachers are second mothers after your own mother(irrespective of genders).Who spreads the knowledge, to not just one child but to hunderds in their lifetime.i can say about teaching is that "teachers play an important role for support and guidance of students life and their career".Teaching means - Teacher Meaning and Student Learning and Praxis II test giving you the chance to becoming a Teacher by Teaching Certified Courses.

----------------------
Praxis II practice
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Syl »

You can find the answer in a post I wrote sometime ago, in which I related more to pronunciation and spelling. Nonetheless, the learning of vocabulary is definitely included.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5794

Syl:)
Shelley
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Shelley »

Hi there,

With children it can be very helpful to use actions while the music is playing - that saves everyone sitting around like lemons!

Bear in mind that actions can be done to ANY song - not just Head Shoulders Knees and Toes.

For example use this great game as part of your pre-teaching:

Show a flashcard and name the word and make a symbol for that word.
Every time the class hear that word they make the relevant symbol.

Once you have pre-taught any keywords in the song using the above game and other listening games play the song, have the class listen out for the keywords and make the relevant symbol.

Make up any kind of actions or movements that feel nice to perform to go along with any instrumental parts. The more movement you have the more the class are actively engaged in listening and participating in the song. That gives a more memorable result than sitting at desks and listening, or even trying to fill in a gap fill while the song plays.

There are some useful song sites in this post and here is one more:
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/eslsongs.htm

Enjoy!
Shelley
Graziela
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Graziela »

2 links with great ideas on songs!
The kids will love all of them. I AM sure ( :

http://www.getenglishlessons.com/tag/eric-herman/