word order

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

yelmax

word order

Unread post by yelmax »

Hello everyone,
I have to order some words to make sentences. Solutions according to the key:
1. "He got married when he was in his late 30s". (The option "When he was in his late 30s he got married" is not contemplated).
2. "When he was in his early 20s he moved to NY". (The option "He moved to NY when he was in his early 20s" is not contemplated).
To me these two sentences are exactly the same, so both options (in brackets) should be correct.Can anyone explain why not (if not)? Thank you very much in advance.
ICAL_Pete
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: word order

Unread post by ICAL_Pete »

Unless I'm missing something obvious, both options look good to me!
yelmax

Unread post by yelmax »

ICAL_Pete wrote:Unless I'm missing something obvious, both options look good to me!
Thank you very much. I just wanted to check. Normally, the key would offer both choices, but not in this case.
Joe
Admin
Admin

Unread post by Joe »

Both options are certainly possible and correct, but they might be used in different circumstances. One places more emphasis on the time/date, the other on the action.
babygirladdy

Unread post by babygirladdy »

I agree with EC, but when you're using the options for "When he was in his late 30s/early 20s" a comma should be used afterward:

When he was in his late 30s, he got married.
kamel

Unread post by kamel »

Hi
According to me both sentences are appropriate. But when you begin with the when clause I think you are more emphatic about the the time of the action rather than the action itself.