Effects of mispronounciation???

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

alpratblue

Effects of mispronounciation???

Unread post by alpratblue »

can anyone answer to this question please?
what are the effects of mispronounciation in a person's life?

thanks
joedeveto

Effects of mispronunciation

Unread post by joedeveto »

Hi Alpratblue,

Unfortunately, nobody can really answer your question. In my experience as both a teacher and a language learner, pronunciation mistakes cause problems that are completely unpredictable. Sometimes, I am sure that I have mispronounced a word here in China, but people understand me. Other times, I think I pronounce something correctly, but people are confused.

One thing I have noticed is that misunderstandings can increase when vocabulary and sentence structure are weak. A good, clear sentence using the appropriate vocabulary can help overcome poor pronunciation while short, limited sentences made up of vague words makes a pronunciation mistake a major problem.

Another thing I have noticed, at least for English, is that rhythm is very important. Of course, you must pronounce each sound as clearly as possible (Some of my weaker students in China leave out many sounds when they speak. For example, they might pronounce television as "elewiya"!) but as long as you come close, and have good rhythm, you can usually be understood.
dzankelo

Unread post by dzankelo »

But I think it's important to watch out and correct mistake in the classroom sesion. We all know nobody speaks perfect; however when some one teaches should be aware that students make progress in their learning process
Jessy

Unread post by Jessy »

What I want to say is that in daily life, a mispronunciation doesn't matter as long as people can understand you. But, a mispronunciation in classroom should be corredted immediately because that may affect students' learning.
eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

phonetic training...

Unread post by eric_p_m »

Dear Alpratblue,

I venture to state that a given context allows a specific error margin. Foreign language learners are usually given a wider berth for phonetic, lexical, and grammatical mistakes, but native speakers find no such compassion: speech pathologists tend to earn an incredible amount of money helping a wide array of speakers overcome their specific phonetic difficulties.

In a formal business context, phonetic errors would be detrimental but pale in comparison with cultural blunders.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/
odyssey
Busy Member
Busy Member

Unread post by odyssey »

The importance of correct pronunciation:
http://www.fun-with-english.co.uk/2005/ ... ation.html