What's the tense/classification?

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

BAofE

What's the tense/classification?

Unread post by BAofE »

In the phrase "I watched a cat chase a mouse" what is the tense/classification of the verb "chase"?

Is it simply the verb stem?
aracely

Unread post by aracely »

The verb chase is in its present form. it cannot be used in past, because the verb "watched" is what you observed, no the cat. So it reads "I watched a cat chase a mouse"
GiddyGad
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by GiddyGad »

Hi BAofE,

Actually, so many teachers want to know the correct answers, so few want to understand grammar once and for all.

It can't be any Tense, since it's not a Predicate. Hence, in your example, we can speak only of a verb form.
"Watched" is a Predicate and is in the Past; "chase" is Infinitive, which is easily proved by using negation in your sentence: "I watched a cat not to chase a mouse".

Infinitive is the name of a purpose, and, like other names (book, selfish, etc.), doesn't answer the question "when?" (Tenses do.)

Cheers,

GiddyGad
cityofislam

Unread post by cityofislam »

i think that it would be correct to say
I watched a cat chasing a mouse.
I'm a teacher of English in Egypt. I studied at the Moray House School of Education in the University of Edinburgh, Scotland.
Yuventius

Unread post by Yuventius »

i agree as above,
i watched a cat chasing a mouse.

but well, inspoken English either is fine.
GiddyGad
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by GiddyGad »

No Yuventius,

It's not a matter of spoken English, it's a matter of grammatical norm.

In the given example, both Infinitive and Present Participle are grammatically correct, the difference being in subtleties of connotation: probably, Infinitive states a fact, while Present Participle shows the state of action in progress.

Cheers,

GiddyGad
eric_p_m
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

infinitive vs. present participle...

Unread post by eric_p_m »

Dear BAofE and Aracely,

Normally, the infinitive follows a conjugated verb. I would expect that you would already know that since your native language functions in the same manner. In English, "to", the infinitve marker, as in (to) chase may be omitted depending on the context's formality. Furthermore, you should not have any misconception of what an infinitive is. In Spanish, you have three versions: -ar, -er, -ir.

To support GiddyGad's response, "chasing" in Cityofislam's sentence is the present participle. The utilization of the infinitve or the present participle in this case though is a matter of aspect. Using the infinitive shows a generalization while employing the present participle brings the action into a closer relationship with the subject. Likewise, the gerund, which has the same grammatical form with the present participle in English, functions in the same way in contrast to infinitive usage.

Sincerely,

Eric Paul Monroe

http://www.eric-tesol.com/
odyssey
Busy Member
Busy Member

Unread post by odyssey »

GiddyGad wrote:"chase" is Infinitive, which is easily proved by using negation in your sentence: "I watched a cat not to chase a mouse".
Agreed, except that it would be:

I watched a cat not chase a mouse.

(as in "I watched a cat not chasing a mouse")
alanov9

Re: What's the tense/classification?

Unread post by alanov9 »

I'm of the opinion that in the sentence, "I watched a cat chase a mouse", the verb "chase" is in the infinitive mood. This is clearer in the Latin or Greek grammar where, in some cases (usually in reported speech), the subject and the object of the sentence are both in the accusative case and the verb in the infinitive. "What differentiates the subject from the object is their position in the sentence; the subject comes first. This is exactly the same situation here.
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: What's the tense/classification?

Unread post by Syl »

The present participle is used to describe an activity in progress, especially when all parts of the activity are watched. If you report on the facts only, then you will use the infinitive in both verbs like:

"We saw the man open the car door, put in the box and drive off."

Syl's English Corner - Learn English and Have Fun
http://www.ginnegar.0catch.com