NO books to teach

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

myvidentity

NO books to teach

Unread post by myvidentity »

Hello ,

I have started teaching in a language school suggesting no books to teach except for some Wiki magazines. These show the framework what should be worked on, for example, indefiniteness and definiteness and that's it. When it was offered I accepted the job easily because it seemed challenging and at the same time simple but now I'm out of reliable materials. please some help me out in what ways I can find materials for all the suggested frameworks.
:oops:

Many Thanks.
shelleyvernon

Re: NO books to teach

Unread post by shelleyvernon »

Hello there,

I had a similar teaching situation when working for Inlingua in the past.
They had a book for the teacher with the grammar topics to be covered in that unit, and basically you had to make up a lesson from scratch to fit the topic. It was time-consuming, but what was especially difficult was trying to make the lesson more lively than everyone sitting around reading extracts of text and filling in blanks on a worksheet.

Since those early teaching days I have written this book, it would help you.
http://www.amazon.com/ESL-Classroom-Act ... 1478213795

You can try out ideas from the book if you would like to test drive it first. Most ideas in the book may be used with any topic, so that's a big time-saver. There are board game templates with blanks that the class fill in with the required grammar questions or sentences - it's amply explained in the book. There are quiz games, again with blanks so you can adapt them. And discussion type games to adapt to any topic. Also there are language drill type games that may be used to drill anything.

You can get the free samples to try out from this page:
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/esl-for-adults
farwa

Unread post by farwa »

I have started teaching in a language school suggesting no books to teach except for some Wiki magazines. These show the framework what should be worked on, for example, indefiniteness and definiteness and that's it. When it was offered I accepted the job easily because it seemed challenging and at the same time simple but now I'm out of reliable materials. please some help me out in what ways I can find materials for all the suggested frameworks. :nok:
watson
Fruitpatch

Unread post by Fruitpatch »

I began teaching in a similar situation a while ago and had to come up with a great deal of material myself. I dare say I got quite good at it and I now provide English power point games and lessons from my website with my partner (also an English teacher).

The games are all fully animated and give you ample opportunity for customizing to your specific needs. The Lesson plans involve texts, images, and activities displayed in a highly presentable format on-screen. Our material is intended to be as highly engaging and as widely applicable as possible.

Check it out, and let me know what you think:

https://www.dangerouslyeasyesl.com/