English with little ones.

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

jilly

English with little ones.

Unread post by jilly »

Hi,

I've been teaching English in France for a little over a year. I have a few private students and last term (Sept to Dec) I had an English class at a primary school. This term I'm working at the Maternelle with the 4 to 5 year olds. I really enjoy working with this age group and love the way the kids absorb things so readily.

For a while I've been thinking about running sessions for younger children. Obviously, they would not be English lessons and I certainly would not be aiming to 'teach' them. My idea is more for a session where the children attend with the parent/carer. I thought I could hold short sessions where I sing songs (to music) and get the children and /or parents to join in by using shakers and instruments or doing actions. I could even do a simple story with good pictures and a puppet.

I spoke to the lady at the social centre where they sometimes have people come in to do activities with the children and she didn't poo poo the idea. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the idea.

Many thanks.
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: English with little ones.

Unread post by Syl »

Hi, Jilly

I am totally in favor of exposing little kids to English as much as possible and as young as they may be. They absorb it, it's amazing. I have seen a 2 years old (a friend's daughter) repeating songs her parents play for her on YouTube streamed on TV. I was stunned to hear her mumbling the words "Father finger, father finger, where are you? Here I am, here I am, how do you do?". And she is not a native speaker!
So... go on with your idea, it works! but have them repeating the same songs as much as possible, repetition is the magic word.

Go for it! :-)

Syl
cerealkillah
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by cerealkillah »

The little ones absorb everything like a sponge :) They don't have to know they are learning. They should treat the classes as fun or playtime. I think people at http://www.supersimplelearning.com do a great job in this area. You can find songs, videos, worksheets, colouring pages etc. on their website. You can even see some of their songs/lessons put into practice in the classroom on their youtube channel.
Eberhard

Unread post by Eberhard »

Hello,

Hello,

yes, that sounds like a great idea. As had been said before: little children absorb everything like a sponge: singing, telling nursery rhymes, watching videos, playing games - just offer them a little and it is amazing what they get out of it.
There is one thing we should not forget when teaching - even very young children: they are all curious and love to discover and learn new things by putting their own effort into activities. My grandson who grows up in a Czech speaking environmet teaches me this every day: we try out new games and activities to play and learn in the language which is not his native language.
I use this link www.homeenglishteacher.com to discover new exciting activities for him and his friends who come to join us. This unique phase in live where children pick-up so easily and eagerly must be fully taken advantage of.
Eberhard
Syl
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by Syl »

Thank you for both links, cerealkillah and Eberhard. I have visited the websites, they are great! And Shelley Vernon is awesome, strongly recommended!!!