Looking for some advice

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

irwinm

Looking for some advice

Unread post by irwinm »

Hi Guys

I hope you can help me out. My girlfirend and I are looking to travel and teach together. The problem is I'm an English teacher and she's a Spanish teacher. I'm Irish and she's Guatemalan. We both have degrees and she has a masters. I have two TEFL certs and one year of experience. She has 10 years experience of teaching Spanish. I am considering doing the SIT Tesol next month which is a CELTA equivalent if think this could help greatly!?

Basically I'm wondering where is the best place for us to look for jobs and make some good money. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mike
toddhooper

Re: Looking for some advice

Unread post by toddhooper »

Hi Mike,

You have loads of options. All Spanish speaking countries, especially those on the gringo trail in South America, have a big TEFL scene. You can pitch up in most major cities and get a job immediately with schools like International House or the British Council. IH also teach Spanish courses to travellers. I studied my CELTA at IH Bogota. It was a great school and they are always on the look out for new teachers with experience in both Spanish and English.

I recommend doing the CELTA though. And if you're going to be travelling, Bogota could be a great place to do it.

Good luck,

Todd
ahmsuliman

Looking for some advice

Unread post by ahmsuliman »

Helo Every body.
I need your help. it's an urgent matter; iam asking you to give me helpful tips on How do we Build Confidence on Learners.
Susan

Unread post by Susan »

Give them tasks that you know will challenge them enough and that you are sure they can achieve.
Remember back to an exercise the students did a few months ago and found really difficult; repeat it with them to show them how much progress they've made.
Look at books by Rinvolucri and others published by Pilgrims; there are lots of confidence building activities in that series.
davidmikky

Unread post by davidmikky »

I recommend doing the CELTA though. And if you're going to be travelling, Bogota could be a great place to do it.
malik66
johnsimpson
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by johnsimpson »

Problem with CELTA is that it is an expensive one month fulltime course that will take you a long time to recover from the miserable earnings you are going to get. Try searching for TEFL jobs in whatever country you want, and check out what your prospective employers are asking for, in regards to qualifications.
OhTheSpark

Unread post by OhTheSpark »

Create an account on italki.com and teach a foreign language wherever you have an internet connection. You have to charge less when you first start, but after you build a good reputation and rating, you can charge more. I think this is ideal for travelers - provided you are in places with reliable and cheap internet cafes.
johnsimpson
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by johnsimpson »

If you are looking for online work, write out a profile of yourself, use a search engine using the words English online, select the best websites that will offer your services, and place your profile. If you are a qualified native English teacher, don't cheapen yourself with low prices, as many prospective students will become suspicious.