thoughts on demo lesson please

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

orchid

thoughts on demo lesson please

Unread post by orchid »

Hello all, I was hoping you wouldn't mind giving me some advice.

I'm interviewing for a job. I've been told I have to give a 20 minute demo lesson to ESL students WIDA levels 3-4. The lesson must be on inferring vocabulary meaning from context.

What I've decided to do is present a short paragraph with five related words. They would be words that described a range of states between two points/concepts. I'm thinking either right/wrong or love/hate. The students would read the paragraph, arrange the words on a given visual line (with for example right/wrong written on either side.) I would then have them write their own definition of two or three of the target words. I might include keywords/hints to help them with this part.

I'm not sure if that's the best lesson, but I have 20 minutes and also must include a Do Now and Exit Ticket, so time's a factor.

My questions are these:

What are your general thoughts on this lesson? Any insight on what an administrator would think of it?

What are the most likely mistakes I can expect from the students? I want to have a few scripted redirects handy.

Thank you very much!
Susan

Re: thoughts on demo lesson please

Unread post by Susan »

I'm not sure I understand correctly your vocabulary exercise. But it sounds to me as if the students won't be inferring and that is the aim of the lesson.
orchid

Unread post by orchid »

The five target words will be in sentences that give context clues to their meanings. The students would have to infer their meaning and then put them in relation to the other similar words. It's to highlight nuances between words, like the difference between "appreciate" and "adore".
Susan

Unread post by Susan »

Sounds like a good example of inferring vocab.