Demo Lesson for 5 year olds

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

danizzle

Demo Lesson for 5 year olds

Unread post by danizzle »

I have an interview this weekend with a company called Vantage Japan. The job is exclusively teaching to kindergartners. I have no teaching experience, though they do not require it (as I guess is standard in Japan).

Anyways, they want me to do a demo lesson made for 25, 5 year olds. I have to make a lesson plan, and the topic is basic emotions, specifically happy, sad, angry, tired, and hungry. I do not think it would be so hard to do an initial demonstration of the vocabulary (I will probably draw faces on a piece of paper, and then mime the emotion and say it a few times, for example).

They also want me to plan a game and a song. They do not want me to actually play the game or the sing the song, but they want me to show them how I would explain to the kids how to play the game and how to sing the song. This is the part I am not sure about. I have 0 experience teaching children. I have been responsible for large groups of children at my local church, but I did not teach them and they already spoke English of course.

Could someone give me some advice on how I would explain a game or song to Japanese kindergartners? The game I was thinking of doing was where I would call up a student and have them draw one of the emotions on the board or a piece of paper, and then the rest of the students would try to guess it. Then after a few students do this, I would split them into pairs and have them play the game with each other. As for the song, I have no idea. First of all, I do not really like singing (unfortunately). I do like kids though, and it is part of the job, so I am willing to do it. I am not sure what song or kind of song to do though, and less sure on how to explain it to them.

Sorry, this is long. I guess my basic question is how do I explain a game to Japanese kindergartners? They would have very limited vocabulary I suppose. Thanks for the help!
Susan

Re: Demo Lesson for 5 year olds

Unread post by Susan »

Your game sounds fine. You can introduce it by doing an example. Make sure the students get plenty of practice saying the words before they play.