Experience counts - pen pals

Active teacher (and student) topics are at ESL Forums

Moderator: Joe

rashi

Experience counts - pen pals

Unread post by rashi »

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to start a pen pals (from other countries) project with my students. Which is the best way to communicate with the other group? Computers? Or posting letters handwritten by the students?

Thank you in advance.

Best wishes
Rashitha
PS: Do consider the time factor, cost and other relevant factors.
cerealkillah
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Re: Experience counts - pen pals

Unread post by cerealkillah »

It is all relevant. It depends on the number of students, topics or ideas you want your students to exchange, for example. Also, if you plan a long term cooperation, it is possible to exchange some more "tangible" correspondence. However nowadays online exchange is easier. You can do it via e-mail, social networking sites or even forums or message boards. You can use a combination of both types. For instance regular e-mail exchange with occasional real-life parcels. It also depends on distance. In EU, for example you can do your project under Commenius program (etwinning). Then you have access to special online platform for the students. I guess this is not the case for you.
Emai

Unread post by Emai »

You meant the communication will be done only with native speakers?
cerealkillah
Prolific Member
Prolific Member

Unread post by cerealkillah »

I wanted to write "it's all relative" :-) I hate autocorrect function in phones ;-)
Jneen

Unread post by Jneen »

Hi Rashitha

I teach English in a small town in Australia. I have one intermediate student who would like an 'old-fashioned' pen pal - i.e. someone to correspond with via snail mail.

Do you have any students that would also like to write letters to a pen pal? My student is female, Thai and 20 years old.

Thank you
Janine
Salwa
Busy Member
Busy Member

Unread post by Salwa »

I'm an English teacher in Kuwait, and I'm very interested about the experience of the pen pal, it's what I was looking for, for my students. They are learning English as a foreign language and they would love to interact with foreign students, plz reply me back if anyone interested to get me in this experience so I know more details about it. Thank you in advance
Salwa
Busy Member
Busy Member

Unread post by Salwa »

Hi Rashita
My students are female secondary students ( grade 11 and 12), I would love to work with you and other interested teachers worldwide as a project of my workshop. Waiting for reply. Thank you
Jneen

Unread post by Jneen »

Hi Salwa

It would be great to hook up one of your students with my student who wishes to have a 'pen pal'. Could you possibly email me with the name of your chosen student, and the school's postal address, and maybe my student could write the first letter? janine.becker1@det.nsw.edu.au

Thank you!
Salwa
Busy Member
Busy Member

Unread post by Salwa »

Hi Jneen,
That's my pleasure dear to work with you, but I would like to tell you that I want to experience this project with a whole class of 20 students not only 1 student, my students will start school on 16 September, next week, and keeping in mind that we need to use emails or other way not the old fashioned way because it's very slow. But in all cases dear Jneen, here is my email, you may send me your schedule and more details about the project salwa_arg@yahoo.fr